We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quirimbas experiences

Stockholm
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Quirimbas experiences

Hi,

I consider to go to Pemba & Quirimbas the coming winter and have some questions:

1. Has anyone stayed in the Matemo Community Camping, experiences (the bungalows)?

2. How long does it take to go from Ibo to Matemo?

3. How long would you suggest to stay in Ibo island which will be our "base" in the Quirimbas. We have total of seven days in the Pemba/Quirimbas area.

4. Is the walking tour to Qurimba island recommendable?

5. Is the snorkelling good in Ibo island and Matemo island? Any specific places around these islands that are good?

6. Anyone who has stayed in Chuiba Palms on the mainland, experiences?

7. Other accomodation outside of Pemba that could be recommended?

8. Recommended Car rental in Pemba? Is it easy to find the way from Pemba to Tadanhangue?

Thanks

/Mike

1 reply
Pemba, Cabo...
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quirimbas experiences

Hi Mike,

- June & July is our winter with T-shirts & shorts. August – September is very windy. Late December – May is rainy (+- late afternoon rains)

- Matemo Community Camping I believe it is still active.

- Going Ibo - Matembo by dhow going up wind takes longer than going down wind = bank on a mornings trip +- 3 hours. Check with Lucy at Baobibo Resort at Ibo Island baobibo.ibo@gmail.com , she is very helpful.

Also check on web site of Pemba Dive “Site Map” & “Getting There” detailed travel plans, logistics & maps for Overlanders, Budget, Mid range & Luxury travelers.

- Your stay on Quirimbas I believe you have answered yourself.

- Walk to Ibo – Quirimbas 3 hour walk (have good shoes that can sink in the mud), choose Full Moon or New Moon = Spring Tides a lot less wet. Objective is Island hopping.

Though Pemba Dive & Bush Camp gives a complimentary walk (dry) similar 30minute walk through mangroves & indigenous bush, though it takes an hour with the Botanical talk on cultural history, traditional medicine, marine, animal & bird life attractions, Mud Bath & an ancient hollow Baobab tree to walk inside. Objective educational & exploration with fun.

Yes, there are great house reefs at Matembo.

The light house at Ibo is very good. Wear shoes protecting against short spine urchins, watch the tide.

- Chiba Palms – stunning Luxury accommodation.

- Pemba in town has no beaches.

- There are 3 companies that rent cars out. Yes, very easy. Also Pemba Dive web site will give you detailed info.

I hope this is a help with your travel plans. Drinks lots of water and you are welcome to contact me for any more info.

Have a great trip.

Reply to: Quirimbas experiences
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Quirimbas National Park
Recent Conversations
More Quirimbas National Park Topics