We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in Colombo / Mount Lavinia Area

Munich, Germany
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYE in Colombo / Mount Lavinia Area

we are going to spend NYE in Colombo / Nugegoda / Mount Lavinia area and we are wondering what place to go to for a bit of NY celebration.

We are in our mid 30s, not aiming for big and long hotel parties, would rather prefer a cosy place, say a decent restaurant (possibly with a nice view but not a must) and a nice NYE dinner menu preferably with local food. We do not intend to stay out too long, as we are planning to take the 7am train to Kandy the next morning :-)

we have picked up somewhere there are a couple of nice places along the beach in Mount Lavinia area but we are not sure what style they are. I have only ever read about parties at the Galle Face Hotel being rather big and loud, and that is not what we are after.

Any help / suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

5 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE in Colombo / Mount Lavinia Area

I am sure others can give better recommendations than I can but I figured I will chime in as no one else has done so yet. There are so many good restaurants from Mount Lavinia all the way to Galle Face area.

I am sure Mount Lavina Hotel will have some kind of a themed party - but I don't think that is what you want. You can still have a nice meal with a view.

Something different and very local, about 6 KM from Mt. Lavinia Hotel is a restaurant right on the beach called Beach Wadiya. The floor is the sand. You can sit under the clouds or the little roof they have. Food is excellent. There are other accommodation within walking distance from Beach Wadiya.

I have heard Hotel Berjaya thrown about also in Mt. Lavinia - if I have eaten there cannot recall - so cannot comment. BTW lots of restaurants are called Hotels what they are really restaurants.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 23:05
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE in Colombo / Mount Lavinia Area

Most hotels in Colombo and Mt Lavinia hotel will be having big bashes to welcome the new year but we understand that its not what you are looking for.

Apart from the recommendations given above, there is also the Lavinia Breeze, Steam Boat by the beach, Loon Tao (also by the beach) and also Boat Haus (which is my personal favourite) in Mt Lavinia ..

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE in Colombo / Mount Lavinia Area

The Mount Lavinia Hotel will have a very big loud party. So you should avoid that.

So will all the other big hotels in Colombo. The issue is that almost every decent restaurant around Colombo is bound to have a special menu for 31st night that will incur a special surcharge.

There is a small risk when you make a booking since a reputed restaurant - that is usually known for nice atmosphere and food - on 364 days of the year, might prove out to be different on 31st night.

The plus side of this issue is that all the big hotels have multiple restaurants that will have their own themed "private" dinner party that is separate from the "big loud party" at the other end.

Haven't you booked your hotel accommodation for the day/night ? Id finalise that, and then worry about the dinner venue.

The Taj Samudra and the Hilton (poolside) will have loud parties. And I'm sure the Kingsbury will attempt to outdo them. No party at the Galle Face Hotel this year

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE in Colombo / Mount Lavinia Area

Hey Don,

Avoid the Hilton in Colombo as well!

Munich, Germany
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE in Colombo / Mount Lavinia Area

hi all,

thanks you so much for all of your replies!

we have got ourselves a table for two on the beach at Lavinia Breeze in the end. Rs3500 pp sounds quite alright for a NYE event, doesn't it? We hope this will be a nice and enjoyable evening :-)

Is there any other place you guys would recommend for drinks for the evening before?

Reply to: NYE in Colombo / Mount Lavinia Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia