We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cigarettes

Worksop
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
cigarettes

How do the rules apply to tourists ? Are cigarettes available in the airport on arrival ?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cigarettes

Hi,

No they are not.

I didn't want to buy any, but just so I could answer that very question on here,a few weeks ago, i went to all the shops that you see on arrival and asked.

They all told me the same thing, no cigarettes.

Thats no problem as you'll be able to take at least one open pack in with you, ( possibly more) and they'll easily last you til you get to where ever you're staying where you'llbe able to stock up from a local shop.

Some of the hotels sell them, but check the price with the shops.

Rod.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cigarettes

hi anxiousparent.

in reply to your question,rod is correct there are no smokes available on arrival.

the most common cigarette is gold leaf found everywhere cost shop 240rp hotel 460-480rp

also readily available pall mall but dearer.

hope this helps.

kent
Level Contributor
845 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cigarettes

Hi

The previous post are correct, you cannot take Cigarettes into Sri Lanka or buy them on the Aircraft going out there. My Husband bought his at the little shop on the beach called Asda, he paid £12 for 200 B&H.

Some people managed to buy them at Gatwick but hid them in their Hand Luggage incase the Sri Lankan staff took them off them when they arrived at Colombo Airport.

Have a great time.

Jackie 7 Mick.

Worksop
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cigarettes

My Mum would like to know what brands are available ?

kent
Level Contributor
845 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cigarettes

Hi,

Im not a smoker myself but my Husband says in the Asda Beach Shop they had B&H, Silk Cut, Malbourgh, Camel and a few other makes he cant remember the name of.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Jackie & Mick.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cigarettes

hi anxiousparent.

bensons are readily available but they are not the same as uk,most people we met this year in sri lanka changed there brand.

Worksop
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cigarettes

Thanks for all the responses my Mum is now reassured. Unfortunately i hoped it might make her decide to give up but she has somehow become more determined !

Worcs.
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cigarettes

LOL! We took some in but you cannot buy them from duty free.... other than that they don't check what you have.

My father was buying his from the pool bar, and we had a tuk tuk from Blackie to search for low tar for my mum. We did get some but no idea of price... sorry

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cigarettes

Hi

I have taken cigarettes with me each time I have travelled to Sri Lanka and never been checked - could be luck of the draw though. As others have said if you are going to the Bentota area, Gold Leaf is readily available, I smoke Marlboro Lights and had quite a journey trying to find anywhere that sold them.

england
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cigarettes

You can buy cigaretes on the way out of the country at duty free shop but these are to be paid for in sterling/credit card.There is also a smoking room in the airport by the duty free shop for you to use.

In the hotel they are around £2.20 a packet but at Asda the shop on the beech just past the quiet pool they are approx £1.40 a packet, and are readily available in 200 pkts - Bensons, malborough, Silk cut.

What we did find is that when the bar staff spotted you were smoking and were new arrivals they liked to take adantage of this and they offered to bring in cigerettes for you but were intent on making 50p a pkt. My advice pop to Asda.

As for the plane journey into SriLanka - a nicotine patch stuck on my other half made for a more enjoyable flight !!!!

Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations