We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unrest in Colombo and Kandy

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Unrest in Colombo and Kandy

I have booked holiday for our family of 5 with two older kids and one of 11 we are doing the 7 day tour going to Kandy and Colombo then 7 days in Kani Lanks Hotel. I am now worried as have read Home Office report and don't want to take the kids somewhere unsafe. Can anyone let me know how it is there now since the bomb in Colombo?

Tony Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Sigiri Lanka Viaggi
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, City Tours
Sherine Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Unrest in Colombo and Kandy

HI Hollie,

The safety situation has changed a little over there.

The Tigers are taking such a hammering on the battlefields in the north that they are trying to change things around.

Recently, they have increased their bombing campaign in civilian areas.

But,,,, since the war started, in 1983 , they have never targetted tourists.

When I'm in Lanka, I'm much more likely to get blown up than you are. Because I travel around on the local buses and to a lesser extent , trains.

I was there a few weeks ago and used buses over a large part of the country and no problems at all.

I assume that you'll be travelling with a driver. He'll be right up to date with any trouble spots and avoid them even if it means changing your itinery around a little. Not that I forsee that as being necessary.

Everybody worries about Sri Lanka and their safety and rightly so. But,,

Do you hear the same about Thailand ?. I don't think so but for tourists Thailand is a much more dangerous place than Sri Lanka.Regular and indiscriminate bombings and attacks in the southern areas and regular bombings in Bangkok,

I know that doesn't help the situation in Sri Lanka but in Lanka, tourists have never been a target.

I'm back there as soon as possible, and as usual will be travelling around. I'll avoid any military installations, police station, ( hopefully) and large gatherings such as demonstrations, the usual common sense stuff but otherwise I'll not worry.

Rod.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unrest in Colombo and Kandy

Hi,

If you avoid public transport, large gatherings, military bases, government buildings etc. you are safe. As Rod explained, tourists have never been a target in Sri Lanka.

Nishantha

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unrest in Colombo and Kandy

Hi

Sri lanka have been suffering with civil war fro 25 years almost . best guarantee is not a single tourist effected .

thanks,

ind

4. Re: Unrest in Colombo and Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations