We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rats

manchester
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rats

Hello

I am off to Sri Lanka on Friday for two weeks, I am staying at the Mount Latvinia Hotel and the Royal palms Hotel. I am absolutely petrified of rats and have been told by my boss that when she visited she saw lots of them. Please can anyone advise me about the rat situation so that I can prepare myself.

Thankyou so much

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,072 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rats

Hi there,

Inside the hotel grounds the chances of seeing them are close to zero, unless you want to visit their garbage dumps. On the streets there ARE chances esp. when walking on closer distance near garbage and sewers - but then even in London tube one often sees them between the tracks!

Best way to avoid them is to take cars and tuktuks and have them drop you off at exactly the entrances where you want to be. Usually this is 100+ meters away from any garbage and hence risk area...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rats

Hi there...

Yep, agree with Erik, highly unlikely you would see any furry 4 legged friends in the hotel grounds, but could be out and about especially samller villages ect.

Hope there is none at Royal Palms as i will be there from next week also !

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rats

Hi

I have been to SL 42 times and only saw a rat once. I don't think they have more rats there than we have in Europe. Just stay away from garbage dumped in the roads.

Hans

s wales
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rats

Hi, didn't see any eats but little squirrels were everywhere when we went to Negombo

s wales
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rats

sorry meant rats not eats!!

manchester
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rats

Thankyou all so much, I now feel much better and can actually look forward to my trip!!

kent
Level Contributor
847 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rats

Hi there,

We went last August and didnt see any rats at all.

You will have a grest time there....relax and enjoy.

SQ7

8. Re: Rats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations