We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

Hi All,

We're thinking of staying at the Club Hotel Dolphin in May - flying out with Sri Lankan Airlines with a 6-hr stopover at in Dubai

Firstly - are there any snack bars in the hotel so we don't feel tied to eating at the buffet all the time? If so any ideas of rough serving times?

Secondly - I understand this hotel is rather remote with only 1 restaurant in the near vicinity. Even though we'll be going All Inclusive we still like to eat/drink out a couple of nights a week - is it possible to get a taxi/tuk tuk to somewhere bigger where there are bars/restaurants?

Thirdly - I understand that May is the start of Monsoon season - we'll probably be flying out on 18th or 20th for 2 weeks - how much rain should we expect and what sort of times does it come down?

Finally - Is there a shop in the hotel where you can buy snacks for the room, drinks and cigarettes?

Thanking you in advance!!

PS - do they serve any diet drinks?

Tony Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Sigiri Lanka Viaggi
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, City Tours
Sherine Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

Hi,

SriLankan Airlines with a stopover in Dubai? SriLankan fly non-stop from Heathrow to Colombo and they do not have flights from UK to Dubai. Have you mixed up SriLankan with Emirates?

Monsoon actually means wind, not rain. During the inter monsoon season in May-June the weather is quite unsettled. A good chance for sunny mornings, but also hefty showers in the afternoons and evenings. May is the wettest month in Sri Lanka with most of the rain falling in the second half.

Diet drinks are available in Sri Lanka, but I have yet to see a hotel where diet drinks are included in their AI packages.

Hans

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

Probably booking with Dream Ticket .com and they told my fiance that there was a stopover of 6 hours in Dubai - might be with Emirates just assumed Sri Lanken Airlines because that's what is atvertised on their website

I was aware of Monsoon meaning "seasonal wind - blows from the southwest (bringing rain)in summer" - i've looked up on Sri Lanka climate and i've seen its possible to get 400mm in May and was wondering whether this is mostly through the night or day. I don't mind heavy rail in the evening but still like to sunbathe till late afternoon (usually around 5-6)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

I don't think dreamticket uses Emirates, so it could be Qatar Airways with a 6 hour stop in Doha. Qatar Airways are often cheaper than SriLankan Airlines.

Don't count on too many days where you can sunbathe until 5-6. More likely around 2-3, but there is no guarantee that the sun will shine uninterrupted from sunrise, often also a shower before noon. The showers don't last long, usually 10-30 minutes.

Hans

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

Thanks Hans

Not sure what to do now because we do like a lot of time lazing round the pool or on the beach and was hoping to sunbathe from about 10am till about 5-6

Might have to have a re-think of destination for May and try Sri Lanka in dry season

Bungay, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

dont be to put off by statistics regarding weather,we holidayed there in november granted 2 off days but perfect rest of time,sported a lovely tan on my return.dont buy cigarettes from hotel they are expensive, asda tescos and haralds all sell them all very comparable {i paid 1600 rupees for 200 marloborgh lights] as previous post diet drinks are not included in all inclusive [ never been anywhere where it is].we are actally going back on the 25th april for 2 weeks loved it so much found the time on my calender i know where to go have a great hol whereever you end up regards jude

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

Thanks for that Jude - still not sure what to do (take the chance on weather or not)

Is it possible to get a Tuk-Tuk somewhere where there are bars/restaurants so we can get a taste of Sri Lanka outside of the hotel? Would it be a long ride and expensive?

Can you buy diet drinks at the hotel shop?

Bungay, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

you will have no problem getting tuk tuk at the front of hotel,once again asda,tescos harald tours will all be able to help, dont know if either of hotel shops sell diet i would think you could get some from the bar but you will pay.we found the food at hotel varied enough to eat thare the whole time ,you could try sea food resturant oppisite hotel.jude

Bungay, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

sorry forgot to say once you get to the dolphin it will be very easy to arrange visits to local ammenites local bars village life its all there we made good frinds with a local with family who we will be seeing again with various bits from the uk which will help them out so much [socks,underwear,deo, soap etc] boring to us precious to them so it is very easy to experience their life jude

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

Thanks Jude - after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor i don't doubt at all that the food is varied enough to keep us from getting bored, however i do like to get out there and try little restaurants etc - it'll also give us something else to do on evening

10. Re: Thinking of Club Hotel Dolphin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations