We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
567 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Hi All,

I went to the doctors a couple of days ago to see if i neeeded anymore jabs and the nurse warned me about Dengue Fever - Apparently there's been a significant increase in Dengue Fever so far this year in Sri Lanka

Has anyone ever experienced this? We're stopping at Club Hotel Dolphin - does anyone know of any cases of Dengue happening around there?

I use Repel 100 on a night which is 100% deet but don't want to use it through the day which is when Dengue Mozzies are around because i don't want it to interfere with my sun cream - i use the P20 once a day

Can anyone advise on suitable measures through the day?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,628 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi there,

Yes we've had cases reported, from friends Lankan and Western, both from the coastal zone (Negombo, Colombo, Unawatuna) and from Kandy. So any tourist is also in the risk zone.

Can't really advise on the combi of DEET cream and suncream. Myself I don't sunbathe and only swim close to dusk and dawn, and then applying the sun cream first in the morning and applying some doses of Deet cream at regular intervals later in the day uptilnow has done the job. But probably, as you say, it weakens the sun cream and due to my living pattern I'm not hindered by that and the average Western tourist in Lanka WILL be hindered by that...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi

You are right to be concerned about dengue fever. Whilst there is an increase, it shouldn't prevent any visitors as long as proper precautions are taken. I made a post about this on 24.03.09 - sorry I don't know how to make a link. The post is titled 'mosquitoes' If you read this you will see that a local Sri Lankan man (whom I know) living in Aluthgama was extremely ill with Dengue Fever. I am pleased to say that he has made a recovery although he is still quite frail following an very worrying time for his family.

In terms of taking adequate precautions, I can only say that preventing mosquito bites during daytime hours is crucial. The lavae of the aedes mosquito who transmit this tend to thrive in areas of still water such as lakes and slow moving rivers. They also bite during daylight hours which is why you are obviously concerned. Therefore it is important to use proper repellent if you are in areas like this.

I am a health professional myself and was due to attend an international conference in Rio last September. Because of a dengue fever epidemic, the conference was moved to Brasilia. Despite this, thousands of international delegates visited Rio as tourists without any problems.

I am panning to visit my friends in Aluthgama in August/September and I am confident that I can guard against dengue fever with adequate repellent. Personally I wouldn't take any risks by not using it since there is no vaccination to prevent against it. There is lots of info available online to tell you about dengue fever. It certainly seems it is on the increase in many countries possibly as a result of global warming. Personally it wouldn't prevent me from traveling to Sri Lanka. You just need to take adequate precaution.

Enjoy your holiday!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,628 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks, Juun!

To post the link:

Simply go to original message, copy the 'address' bar content of your browser and then paste in the new TA posting, like

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k265…

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Banbury
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

I caught Dengue last time I went to Sri lankea and believe me it was most unpleasant and debilitating - they don't call it breakbone fever for nothing- but I wouldn't let it stop me from going to SL again. I was acutely ill and in hospital for a week and it took me a good 6 months before I really felt well again.

Most important thing to remember is to cover up during the day with light clothes that fit tightly at wrist and ankles. Linen is the most comfortable fabric and is available and cheap at M&S, Tesco, and ASDA

Keep away from stagnant water, I was bitten during the day when visiting a hotel near a lake at Kalutara.

You can get sun protection which also contains an insect repellant - ask the pharmacist at Boots while you're in the UK. It won't have 100% DEET, but it should do the job, anyway you shouldn't be sunbathing that much. It's so hot that you'll fry, suncream or not, and you'll end up like a prune when you're older.Also Melanoma is increasing and it's fatal.

Dengue is on the increase and is now more prevalent than Malaria in SL so please don't treat the risk lightly, but if you follow the above advice you willbe perfectly safe and have a wonderful holiday, and like me you'll want to go back time and time again. Have a great time, Pat.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
567 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever

I've read that it is a nasty thing to catch and i'm sure words don't get across how painful it can actually be

I'm now planning on buying Repel 55 which is 55% deet and i'm going to spray that over my usual P20 that i use to protect me from the sun.

Both my fiance and I are very keen sunbathers and we'll be out in the sun for as long as its hot and dry so i'll just have to make sure i don't get bitten

I believe there is a river running around the back of our hotel - does anyone if the water is settled enough to allow mozzies to breed?

essex
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

can anyone recommend the BEST deet mozzie spray - I hae bought some with 100% deet but it is nearly £10 a bottle for 100ml and there are five of us travelling - if we use it everyday we would probably need one each!! are there any cheaper brands that would work just as well?

My eldest son is allergic to gnat bites and comes up in great big lumps so he obviously tastes lovely to these creatures!!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi Dizzie...

My tried and trusted favourite is AUTAN, i use it all the time down in Sri Lanka and do not get bitten day or night.

Good deals for this can usually be found on E-Bay or even in supermarkets this time of year.

Regards

Dave

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi Dizzidancer

I am just like your son and react badly to bites. I was bitten badly when I was in Sri Lanka in January, despite using Autan continuously, believe it or not.

The only thing that works for me is the Boots LOTION with Deet, simply because it is sticky and the mozzies don't stand a chance if they land on me. It's not terribly pleasant to use, hence my use of something else last time .. but it didn't work, so it's back to the sticky stuff for me in August.

Sue

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever

Using 100% deet sprays is no more effective than using 50%,it just means that you don't have to put it on so often.

Boots own is seemingly the best,Avon skin so soft,Tiger Balm,there are lots but if they want to bite you then they will(typical females).

I have heard that Vitamin B1 works wonders as they do not like the smell,well I'm trying it for going to Cuba this year.So far I have already been bitten in my back garden by the good old FEMALE Midge.So much for that idea.Back to the drawing board.LOL

Ian.

PS sometimes it may not be the Mozzies,it could be sand flies as they give you a pretty nasty bite too.

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever

Javo,

I hope by "being bitten in my bak garden" you mean geographically speaking and not anatomically? Ha ha

LOL sorry couldn't resist.

Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations