We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping ?

St. Albans
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping ?

Hi we are off to the Dolphin 23rd May and wondered if we could tip in sterling or is it better in Local currency as my father has given my daughter a huge bag of pound coins ? Also thanks for this forum have had many happy hours searching the answers to all my questions

Sherine Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,763 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping ?

Local currency or Sterling NOTES (which would be over the top in terms of amounts...). Locals can't do anything with foreign coins, no bank will accept them, so they'd be at the mercy of other tourists willing to buy them back from them (for rupees) for a rate likely to be quite suboptimal for them....

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St. Albans
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping ?

Thank you very much for that,

do you know, is it easy to get small denominations when exchanging travellers cheques, so i have plenty for tipping?

Many thanks, Dee

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,763 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping ?

Hi again Dee,

Well not 'easy' but certainly 'feasible'. Banks and changers try to make it easy for themselves and dump only large denominations, with possibly smaller ones for the last 1,000. And you'd need to push a bit to get it for a larger percentage of what you change. But seeing how many rupees you get for e.g. 50 quid, and the size of the average purse, you would not want to go too far ;-) At times, hence, you'd need to 'break up' by e.g. using Rs 1,000 in a shop for a cheaper souvenir mainly for the change...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping ?

Hi All,

I was also wondering about tipping...

What would be a 'suitable' amount? (We got frowned upon by our Rep in Cuba last year because she thought we were tipping too much)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping ?

Hi,

Dave's (travellerguy) reply in this thread is still good Latin:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…14323025

You will not need smaller denominations than LKR 100(GBP 0.58) for tipping. If you don't want to tip LKR 100, don't tip at all.

Hans

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping ?

Hi - thanks for Hans

Previously only searched the Waikkal forum for tipping not the Marawila forum - thought it may be slightly diffeent for other areas (Waikkal forum seemed a little outdated on posts)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping ?

Always search Sri Lanka forum. That includes all sub forums.

Hans

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping ?

Hans - does Sri Lanka not have 'richer' areas (where more tips are 'expected') or 'poorer areas then?

SAINTHELENS
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping ?

we are at the dolphin on the 21st for 10 days we"ll have a couple of drinks waiting on the bar for you!!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping ?

GOA18 - have a lovely time - I'll have (hopefully) posted my review by then and also be back at (miserable) work!!

Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations