We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather

margate
9 posts
Save Topic
weather

thinking of going to waikkal in the middle of sept anybody can tell me what the weather is like been told its the rainy season and some say its ok

cheers

nev

Tony Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Sigiri Lanka Viaggi
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, City Tours
Sherine Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather

Middle of September is still in southwest monsoon season, so most mornings will be sunny. Clouds usually build up during the afternoon and usually result in late afternoon/evening thundershowers.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weather

Hi,

I've been there for several Septembers and , somne days have been as Hans described. However, more often than not, in my experience, most days have been completely dry and mostly sunny. That's on the coast. I have experienced a bit more rain in the hill country at that time, of the year. Not enough to stop me trekking around though and will be doing the same this year.

I hope you have great weather as I'm also in Sri Lanka for the whole of September.

Rod.

Flint, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather

What's it like in december? Is the sea calm enough for paddling?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather

If all you want to do is paddle, then you are okay all year! The sea is at its calmest around January to March, but even then, a lot of the sea around Sri Lanka is lively and unsafe for swimming. It is not a place for flat seas in the main. However, even during monsoon time, there are areas where you can find calm sea, such as the reef protected beach at Hikkaduwa.

Just exercise caution and ask locally wherever you are. If the sea is rough, if the beach shelves steeply, if there's no one else swimming there, then stay well clear. If in any doubt, stay well within your depth. Not a bad thing to do in any case ...

Sue

Flint, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather

Thank u so much

margate
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: weather

so where are the best places to go...and good hotels? which side of sri lanka north or south?

many thanxs

nev

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather

Hi Nev

It depends what you are looking for. The best beaches are in the south, the best choice of full-facility hotels are on the west coast where the main resorts are. You are really looking at one of these two areas for a beach holiday .. not in the north at all.

For me, the best of Sri Lanka is inland, away from the beaches and some of my favourite hotels are also inland. Even if you spend most of your holiday on the coast, try to make time to visit the hillcountry with its amazing views, tea plantations and waterfalls, and also the cultural triangle where some of the best attractions of Sri Lanka can be found, such as Sigiriya Rock, Dambulla Rock Temple and the ancient cities of Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura, to name a few.

Hope this helps for starters ...

Sue

margate
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: weather

thanks for your help

margate
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: weather

thanks for your help rod