We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming & snorkeling

Reigate, Surrey
2 posts
Save Topic
swimming & snorkeling

Nobody has mentioned swimming in the sea. Is this OK ? It seems a shame to go all the way to the tropics & not go in the ocean! What about snorkeling? Is it OK there or is there somewhere close by on a reef or similar? If there is I may not have to go to the Maldives!!! Thanx 4 Ur attention (& hopefully replies) Luv billybabanus.................

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming & snorkeling

Hi

I have swum in the sea in Sri Lanka many times, but it depends a lot on the time of year that you are visiting and where you are. The sea around Sri Lanka can be rough at any time, but especially out of the main season, when it can be very dangerous indeed.

As you are posting in the Waikkal forum, I assume you are looking to stay in this area, which, to be honest, does not offer the best sea swimming. If you are there from January to March you might be lucky, but if snorkelling is a priority, there are far better areas, and there are better beaches too, the further south you go.

For snorkelling, look at Hikkaduwa, just north of Galle further down the west coast, or Unawatuna, on the south coast, also close to Galle. Both have reefs which provide interest and calm waters too.

The south coast has the prettiest beaches with lots of palm trees, good sand and idyllic coves. Mirissa and Tangalle are good bases, but the whole south coast has far less choice of hotels than the west coast, tending to have far more guesthouses and cabana style accommodation, aswell as a few boutique choices and villas.

Sue

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming & snorkeling

sri lanka has nothing like the seawater clarity and beach quality of the maldives ,but reasonable snorkelling can be found on the reef in hikkaduwa ,i have seen many many turtles including giant turtles.the sea in sri lanka is generally considered dangerous ,the sea is usually rough with large waves though saying that ,i am a fairly weak swimmer but still spend much of the day in the water usually in narigama ,hikkaduwa ,body surfing close to the shore .(without a board).the delights of sri lanka are inland with many sights to see though i am always happy on the beach and the sea but you have to find the right one at the right time of the year .you could also combine sri lanka and the maldives in one holiday.

Reigate, Surrey
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming & snorkeling

Hi Sue, Thanks for replying - Very helpful. Looks like my visit will be to the south instead of the west coast. Ta muchly, Billy. PS Thanx also to music.etc....................

Edited: 02 December 2009, 18:24
UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming & snorkeling

Hi Billy,

The best beacharound that area is the Hikkaduwa beach which is surrounded by a coral reef.

I've come in on this thread to point out that this beach is actually on the west coast but right down near the southern end of it just before you get to the southwest corner of the island..

Rod.

5. Re: swimming & snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 05:31
Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations