We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting money changed at airport?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Getting money changed at airport?

Hi, we're off to club hotel dolphin for our honeymoon, ive been told to go straight to the bank in the airport to change money, should I take all cash from home, or should i just take my visa card, as I see from another post they can be accepted!

Also we're off there for a week before going on to Maldives, we want to do an overnight trip each and have a nice dinner on the beach and buy the odd nick nack and of course tip people, do you think £200 each would be enough?

Thanks

:)

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting money changed at airport?

Hi there...

The banking desks at the airport will not accept any plastic, there are a couple of ATMs there though, you should advise your card issuer if you intend to use it in Sri Lanka, or they may block it as an "out of normal transaction".

Take cash or travellers cheques to use banking desks.

£200 per person should be enough for what you have stated..

Regards

Dave

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting money changed at airport?

Yes, best to take TCs or sterling cash as most credit/debit cards will charge an overseas transaction fee plus have less favourable rates of exchange. The Abey Zero (Santander) card does not and I travel with this card just in case. As stated, very important to inform your card company that you will be uisng your card in SL otherwise you will find it blocked.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting money changed at airport?

Thanks for that, cash it is then! :)

4. Re: Getting money changed at airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations