We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices in local towns and attractions

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
prices in local towns and attractions

just read the last post on the dolphin page and it states that prices to get into attractions in sri lanka are on a par with UK. is this the case? paying £50.00 for a family of four to eat in the UK is ok but in a country like sri lanka with low wages etc it seems a bit extreme! Also the write up suggests that the mark up to get into the elephant orphanage or the sigiri rock is also a par with UK prices is this true? If so it seems a bit of a rip off. Dont get me wrong everyone has to make a living and i am sure i will get some hassle over this but theres making a living and theres fleecing people rotten.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,519 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prices in local towns and attractions

Hi there,

Mind you that these are prices for the tourists, locals pay a fraction of it. That having said, a part of the investments for which the entrance fees are used is specific for tourists - e.g. Western style bathrooms and information signs. Won't repeat an extensive discussion in the forum a few months back, the conclusion was more or less that SOME price differentation was acceptable but that some Lankan attractions went too far.

I think the post you mentioned is only partly true. There are a FEW quite expensive attractions in Lanka, but not that many; and e.g. Rs 2,000 for entrance to a safari park is quite moderate for Western standards. The 'black list' consists of Pinawela Elephant Orphanage and the 3 main Cultural Triangle attractions: Sigiriya Rock and the Pollonnaruwa and A'Pura (and Mihintale) sacred cities. P'wela is now Rs 2,000 which seems a factor 2 overpriced to me, the CT attractions were around Rs 2,500-3,000 each (and Rs 5,000-6,000 for a 3-day overall ticket) for the last few years and that might be fair.

But many other places are still moderate: safaris as mentioned, Dambulla cave temple, Kandy Tooth Temple, Kandy Peradeniya Gardens, Eliya Hakgala gardens - all below Rs 1,000 per person and some way below it.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS All about attractions. You did not go in detail about local town prices, IMHO these are not touristy if you avoid the touristy shops with exception of Laksala which is fair-priced.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices in local towns and attractions

Will not repaeat what Erik has said in the previous postings but would just add that you can eat well in local restuarants for £3 - £4 per head for dinner quite easily, not including alcohol. In hotels buffets will be a bit more, say between £5 and £7 per head.

David.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices in local towns and attractions

There's no one who hates being ripped off more than I do and I am happy to say that there are plenty of ways that you can avoid this. For starters, take a look at this recent post which gives you a lot of detail regarding the choice you have when eating out and the sort of prices you will pay:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k3…

It doesn't cost as much to eat out as it does in the UK, even if you choose to dine in tourist restaurants (which is the most expensive option). Wine is expensive but that is because it has to be imported, so that's fair enough. If you eat at local places, as I often do whilst out there, it costs next to nothing and the food is delicious.

The tourist attractions do add a considerable amount to your holiday spending. The Rs2000 each to see the elephant orphanage equates to around £11-70 each and then the mahouts will expect tips if you want to be photographed with an elephant , etc. etc. This is typical of touristy places all over the world and sadly, Sri Lanka is no exception. Having done all the main attractions, I no longer bother with them, so my visits to Sri Lanka do not cost me very much at all, what with eating at local places and travelling on public transport which is ridiculously cheap.

I would not advise you to miss out on places like Sigiriya if you have never been to Sri Lanka before, but you can have just as much fun in the many beautiful areas of Sri Lanka where the attractions are much cheaper, or even free. My two favourite areas are at Adam's Peak and at Kataragama. Here, there is no charge whatsoever. The Botanical Gardens at Kandy costs Rs800 for entry but for the hours of enjoyment provided here, that is well worth paying. Many attractions ask a donation only, such as at beautiful temples and some of the turtle hatcheries. I am more than happy to contribute to these sorts of places, but less happy to fork out at some of the better known places which are not necessarily any better despite the hefty admission charges. I often mention visiting Mulkirigala Rock Temple on the south coast near Tangalle. It is a spectacular place which is rarely visited by western tourists, unlike the popular Dambulla equivalent. At Mulkirigala you are charged just Rs100 for entry and at Dambulla, it is Rs1100. I actually find Mulkirigala more colourful and interesting and being less crowded, it has infinitely more appeal to me.

Let me know if you want any further suggestions as I am confident that you can have an amazing holiday without it costing you a fortune.

Sue

Buckie, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prices in local towns and attractions

I think £11.70 to get into see the elephants is more than reasonable. We were in Canada a couple of years ago and went on a trip to see the bears (which did include a lengthy boat ride first) but it was a hell of a lot more than that, can't remember exact price but we are talking a couple of hundred pounds at least, but it was worth it!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prices in local towns and attractions

OK feeling better now but what is the exchange rate to the British pound.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices in local towns and attractions

Today's rate was 171.10. The rates change on a daily basis.

You can check rates here: http://www.sampath.lk/exchangerate.php

Hans

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prices in local towns and attractions

Thanks to all that replied

8. Re: prices in local towns and attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations