We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocean is possible to swim in?

White sea shore
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
ocean is possible to swim in?

Hi, I'm going to come to Waikkal for some days, but nobody writes how is in ocean to swim? waves?big? not? Safety?beach? clean?

Simply I feel bad in bus, that is why I don't want to go for hours anyway. May be there is another place with good swiminng and where is not a lot of people.

You kindly can advise also me (family runing) not big guest house for reasonable price.

Sincerely, Leela

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,111 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

Hi Leela,

Currently, as usual late Dec to March, it's swimmable on MOST of the days. Still considerable waves but not many currents. Outside these months generally too strong undercurrents for swimming (bathing is fine). It's not a very clean beach, other parts of the islands have better ones but do indeed require a long transfer by car, bus or water plane...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

Hi

I've stayed at the hotel a few times, stying either in September or May and the sea is always rough with strong currents and so is adviseable not to go into the sea to swim

White sea shore
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

O'k, I understood, Thank you. If it would not be possible to swim I'll move to another place.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,111 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

Hi again Leela,

You still did not mention which period of the year you plan to go. Waikkal is fine Xmas to March as mentioned; not in May and neither September.

Good swimmable areas are:

* East coast (e.g. Trinco) April to October

* Southwest coast: e.g. parts of Hikkaduwa, Unuwatuna and Mirissa year-round. But it's _parts_, only those protected by coral reef.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

White sea shore
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

o! Sorry , I forgot to mention the dates to stay . It is from 8 til 15 of February. Just now.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,111 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

That means a decent chance that you CAN swim in the sea at Waikkal. But do inquire at the hotel, red flags at the beach signal a clear nono but some hotel staff are not always good in checking daily and putting up flags when needed...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

...or taking the flags down when they are not needed.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

On the flags issue...

Most hotels i know will leave the flags out all year to warn guests that there may be a problem, always best to ask on the day from hotel lifeguards, they are the local experts on daily sea conditions....

Most will even go into the sea with you...

Regards

Dave

White sea shore
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

Thank you,

tomorrow the 7th will be my last day in India and after I 'll be able to say possible or not to swim in Waikkal.

Sincerely,

Leela

White sea shore
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ocean is possible to swim in?

Many thanks! I wanted a lot to enjoy myself with swimming, that is why I was in need to be sure in such ability. I found a place not too far as Hikkaduwa and spent there 6 very nice days with ocean.

Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations