We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless sunbathing

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Topless sunbathing

Hi,

I've recently been told that topless sunbathing is illegal in Sri Lanka, is this true and does it apply everywhere or are the hotels ok with it?

Thanks in advance

Mandy xxx

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,520 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topless sunbathing

Hi Mandy,

Sorry to annoy you - but YES it is illegal and NO the hotels are not okay with it. (As the locals, who pass by even on private beaches, would get very disturbed by it.).

Have a nice time anyway,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topless sunbathing

Hi Mandy

Yes!!! as Erik says topless sunbathing is illegal in Sri Lanka, and is frowned upon by hotels, and locals alike, so i am affraid that you will have to keep your "bits" covered, unless of course you have a VERY private balcony, then maybe you can get your all over tan!

Not that i am a prude and would be upset you understand, but you know how th saying goes "When in Rome, do as the Romans Do"

Regards

Dave

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topless sunbathing

Very well said guys!!!

Mandy, sorry about this issue as topless sun bathing is not allowed in our conservative country and the culture does not agree with this. Apart from this, theres so much more you can do in my country.

Have a great time here.

Regards.

Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

4. Re: Topless sunbathing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2007, 15:45
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,520 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Topless sunbathing

Hmmm.... well possibly SOMEtimes on the OUTER edges of those beaches, far away from other tourists and most locals. And even then when spotted one has to cover up quickly, note that it's simply breaking the SL law.

Coming to Unawatuna regularly, also in 2 weeks from now, and never spotted those ladies ;-)

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Topless sunbathing

When I go to Lanka I'm not averse to bending the law a little like keeping more than my allotted 1000 rupees when leaving the country or driving a little faster than the limit in places.

But, why think about something that isn't just breaking the law but is literally like sticking two fingers up at Sri Lankans and their culture.

Plenty of toples beaches in Spain.

Rod.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Topless sunbathing

Rod

Well said, i totally agree with you here.

Interesting to note maybe, that this original post was around 9 months ago, and it was ressurected by someone living in Colombo !!!, we can only wonder what they were searching for??

Regards

Dave

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Topless sunbathing

HI Dave,

I must admit, I didn't notice the date or that it was re-posted by someone in Colombo,

Perhaps just a troll but whatever the reason,

I think it's a statement worth repeating occasionally.

Rod.

9. Re: Topless sunbathing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2007, 15:21
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Topless sunbathing

Interesting... just got back from Beruwela and the locals there had no problems with topless sunbathing.. either in the hotel or on the beach.

Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations