We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

kent
Level Contributor
877 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi can anyone give me any advise and tips on the Club Hotel Dolphin in Sri Lanka. Myself and my husband are vey keen to book to go to this Hotel in late August 2007. Can anyone tell me if the sea is suitable and safe to Snorkel in and is the weather usually ok this time of year. Any other tips and advise would be very helpful. Thankyou.

Mentioned in this post
Club Hotel Dolphin
Club Hotel Dolphin
2,463 Reviews
Waikkal, Sri Lanka
Sigiri Lanka Viaggi
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, City Tours
Sherine Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
ASDA Gem & Jewellery
Gift & Speciality Shops
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,797 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi there,

Sorry to say that around that time the sea will probably NOT be suitable for swimming and snorkeling, though bathing always okay.

Weather will be the standard West monsoon climate:

* Dry most of the day, only sometimes brief heavy showers in evening or afternoon

* Sunny almost all mornings

* Westly breeze (only becoming a real wind during the showers)

It's this breeze which will be stronger on the open sea and causing the currents spoiling the swimming plans. Sorry, but that is really part of the season. South coast will be a lot better for that in August, but then that is a long journey from the airport.

Have a nice holiday,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi, Club Hotel Dolphin is a wonderful hotel in sri lanka with excellent facilities. This is a personal favourite of mine and i would say `GO' for sure as i m sure you will enjoy the facilities in this hotel very much. Staff are f riendly and will do anything for you..all what you need to do is to request for your need. Food is also lovely in the hotel and the spacious well done up rooms are great too. Sorry about the snorkling as per Erik as it wouldnt be the best time of the year for that. Hope you will have a great time here in my country. Regards, Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Mentioned in this post
Club Hotel Dolphin
Club Hotel Dolphin
2,463 Reviews
Waikkal, Sri Lanka
kent
Level Contributor
877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi, just to let you know we have booked to go 29th August until 12th Sept 2007, thanks for your tips and advise, if you have any other useful information we would be glad of it. We do want to go to see the elephants, is it a day trip? and would it be best to book from the guys selling tours or with our rep? Many thanks once again.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,797 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi again,

Pinawela Elephant orphanage can well be done as a day trip from Negombo. Will be around 2.5 hours drive; care well with the driver that you see either the morning or the afternoon feeding and bathing time.

You can make the comparison between operator-arranged and self-haggling excursion once you are there. Operator will be more expensive but you'll be certain about the quality of the driver and things like insurance. Check these with the independent drivers, only if they have all the formal papers and are STILL a lot cheaper than the operator/hotel offers it might make sense going with them.

Have a nice time again,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi Snorkel

As per Erik, make sure that the "Beach Boys", independent sellers are safe, maybe ask around in hotel to get recomendations first!!

I am sure that they will be ok, but check first to make sure.

Regards

Dave

rotherham
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

If you are a bit flush you can do an excursion to the maldives from the dolphin. you get two nights and three full days and a boat takes you out to a reef where the snorkellings amazing. Its not cheap we did it with first choice at £350 each all inclusive. You hardly spend anything while youre there though and the boat trips and kayaking are free. Other tour operators did this trip but some charged £500 each.

hope this helps tracyxx

kent
Level Contributor
877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi thanks for the tips on the 3 day excursion to the Maldives, that sounds very interesting and we may even do that at the right price. We are going with First Chioce to Sri Lanka. Do they mention the Maldives trip at the welcome meeting? How long did it take to get there by Boat? Any other tips and advise would be very welcome. Thankyou.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,797 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi Snorkelqueen,

Only one partial answer: the Maldives trip is not by boat but air. So you have the whole 'airport circus' on both sides of the flight, twice - but Negombo is close to the SL airport.

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
rotherham
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi there

Our excursion was with first choice and you can tell them when you want to do it. They do mention it at the welcome meeting but they say it is £325 per person (this is only for groups of 10 or more) but they dont tell you that at the meeting. We were up at 3.30am and left the hotel at 4am our flight was at 7.10am which takes 55 minutes but the maldives is half an hour behind sri lanka. Its only a short journey approx 20 minutes by boat to the island, so we were there for just after 8am.Initially we were disappointed as we were expecting a tranquil island but you can see Male(Maldivian capital) from it and the room was not as nice as Dolphin, however, the experience was fantastic and as I say the snorkelling amazing, if you do go take an underwater camera.

hope this as been useful

tracyxx

p.s all the drinks on the island which is all inclusive are branded ie gordons gin, smirnoff vodka etc

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikkal Area and Clun Hotel Dolphin

Hi SnorkelQueen7,

Myself and My Fiance will be in Club Hotel Dolphin the same time as you next year for the first part of our honeymoon. Maybe see you there.

Mentioned in this post
Club Hotel Dolphin
Club Hotel Dolphin
2,463 Reviews
Waikkal, Sri Lanka
Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations