We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency for trips

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,104 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Currency for trips

Hi

We are staying at The Blue Water in November and intending to arrange trips locally, hopefully with Ruchi. Can anyone tell me which currency to use. Of course S.L. Rupees no problem but in come countries we have visited GB Pounds have been acceptable/preferred.

Thanks in advance

Mazza :-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,132 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency for trips

Hi Mazza,

If they accept pounds I'd strongly doubt whether they would use the same exchange rate as the banks/changers use. So it might be at their advantage and at your loss. Rupees seems safest to us...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,104 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency for trips

Hi Erik

Thanks very much for your advice, it's much appreciated.

Best wishes

Mazza :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency for trips

hotels etc are often priced in US dollars...odd given British heritage but there you go. Remember most hotel workers are earning maximum £1 per day. Tips really are crucial to their lives.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency for trips

Hi,

When I was a kid,, a long time ago, two shillings and sixpence was called " half a dollar".

Five shillings was called a dollar. That was the exchange rate way back when.

A few years ago, the Exchange rate between the rupee and the dollar,, was.. 100 rupees to the dollar.

So, in Sri Lanka some took to calling 100 rupees a dollar and a few, only a few, people quoted dollars.

Now, lots of people quote in dollars,, because it seems the same as before but they now get 115 or whatever it is in rupees to the dollar.

A good way of quoting the same price and getting more money.

I won't deal in dollars out there. I insist on rupees .

Rod.

5. Re: Currency for trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:17