We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

april temperatures

Which Wadduwa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
april temperatures

hi, i'm going back to the blue water this year after a wonderful holiday there in 2009. i have booked to go in april but cannot find out what the weather is like as everyone is saying something different. could someone who has been around the 3rd april let me know;

the weather?

the sea, is it calm?

and if you had any good ideas for trips out and about.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,729 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: april temperatures

Hi there,

1] On the transit from East monsoon season to 1st intermonsoon. East monsoon is the best weather in Wadduwa, with even often swimmable sea. Intermonsoon can bring some partly-cloudy daus with more patches of rain. Temps will be standard, 30' daytime.

2] Sea will be doubtful. Could have a few good days without wind in the sea, but most days do expect the red flag.

3] Which trips did you already do last time? Do compare that list with the 'top questions' excursion list, tick what you did and consider the other day trips. Plus of course all multi-day destinations which you did not see yet.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: april temperatures

Hi,

I've been a few times in April and each time the weather was fine.

From memory, we did have the occasional evening shower but thats all. days were hot and sunny.

The sea,, ? It's generally recognised that the sea in January, Febuary , March and into April is Ok for swimming on the west and south coasts but even in the peak season it can be dangerous... If you look at a map of the ocean currents they sweep around Sri Lanka and produce lots of smaller inshore currents and rips which catch many unaware, including locals .

Best to check with the hotel lifeguards regarding where it's safe to swim and where not.

Rod.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: april temperatures

Hi Fiona..

Weather in early April should be just about fine, was there last year at this time, BUT!, seem to remember it turned a little unsettled just after the Sri Lankan New Year (13&14th April), but overall still not bad..., will still be HOT though.

Swimming, well as Erik and Rod have said, be careful, may not be suitable at times, so always check with hotel lifeguards, they will be the real experts on that subject..

Regards

Dave

Hoping to back "home" in SL at around that time.....

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: april temperatures

Hey Dave, good to hear that another Sri Lanka trip is on the cards for you at last. I bet you can't wait!!

April weather .. worth saying that it is the hottest month of the year. My many Sri Lankan friends seem comfortable enough with the heat for most of the time, but even they seem to grumble in April, and it's the busiest month in cold, gloomy Nuwara Eliya, when wealthy Sri Lankans head there to cool down a bit!!

Sue

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: april temperatures

Hi Sue..

Yes, all being well i am hoping to be back there for the New Year, and as you say i cannot wait, as you know it is has been quite a tough time for me in recent months !, anyway the feelers are out.....

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: april temperatures

Hi Fiona,

I have spent the month of April in Sri Lanka (about 25 km south of Wadduwa) for the last 15 years.

The first 3 weeks are usually sunny and dry, except for the occasional afternoon shower which also Happen in January - we just had one this afternoon.

In the last week or so the afternoon showers seems to be more frequent, and the inter monsoon with more unsettled weather has some years started early May.

Hans

In Sri Lanka again in April for the 16th time

Antarctica
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: april temperatures

Hi,

Comfort wise april is the worst month, no question about it. Pretty humid and steamy.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: april temperatures

IMO Early April is not that bad. Late April, May and June have higher humidity. In April a temp of 30C feels like 33-34C while in May and June it will feel like 36-38C.

Hans

northampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: april temperatures

thank you so much for your fast reply. i really loved the holiday last july/august and it was cloudy with showers then so i'm in no doubt that i will love it this time. the blue water hotel was just one of the most friendliest, nothing too much trouble hotels i have ever stayed in so that alone would ensure i have a great time. the hot weather is a bonus.

trips i did last year were;

elephant orphanage

turtle sanctuary

tea plantation

galle

white water rafting - which i have to say was fantastic

can you name anymore that is a must while we're there

thanks fiona

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,729 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: april temperatures

Hi Fiona,

The main short trips that seem to be lacking from your medal list :-) are a halfday boat trip on the Kalu Ganga (Kalutara) or the Panadura-Horana lagoon area, though the latter is not often known to hotels/tourists. And next to that a day's walking in Sinharaja rain forest.

Longer trips (multi-day) would be needed for other 'white spots' in your repertoir: e.g. the lovely city of Kandy and many sights in the Cultural Triangle. Rock fortress, cave and stone temples, elephantback rides and jeep safaris in a wildlife park are all possible theree.

All the best again,

<Erik> & [Sandya]