We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian Dollar

Which Wadduwa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
6 posts
Save Topic
Australian Dollar

I am travelling from Australia. Can anyone advise the best method of taking currency to SriLanka and the approx exchange rate.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian Dollar

Hi,

Banks and money changers will change AUD. Friday's rate was 98.70.

Hans

Perth
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian Dollar

Hello and thank you. Forgive my ignorance is that 98.70 for every $Aust?

Perth
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian Dollar

Hello again - Is it best to take australian cash?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian Dollar

Hi again,

Yes, you will get LKR 98.70 for AUD 1.

Cash is easy to change. Travellers cheques take a little longer to change, but have an inbuilt insurance in case of loss or theft. Credit/debit card is another option.

Hans

Perth
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian Dollar

cheers - do you know if there is a limit to how much cash you can take in? Do you think spending money of $500-$1000Aust is enough for a 7 day holiday? I would like to take couple of day tips too from Kalutara

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian Dollar

If you bring in more than the equivalent of USD 10,000 in foreign currency into Sri Lanka and intend to take the money out of the country again you have to declare on arrival.

Spending money is always a difficult question to answer. What does it have to cover? Food? Drinks? Shopping? How will you organise your trips?

AUD 1,000 seem to me to be sufficient for 7 days.

Hans

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian Dollar

AUD1000 is about what I allocate for bits and pieces for about 2 -3 weeks in Sri Lanka. I usually have about $500 left over unless I buy small jewellery items. This does not include accommodation, car hire or some of the meals.

As I have lived in SL and go there frequently, I don't shop for batiks and other such items - have loads of them! My shopping is mainly books and music cds. I also buy a few pairs of "slippers" ie leather flip flops - aka jandals in NZ - but they are very inexpensive.

How much you need depends on what you are interested in doing and buying.

The Australian dollar dipped against the USD in the past few days so you may get less than Rs98 per AUD1. Then again, it will probably go back up again. I take both AUD and USD [ buy ahead when the rate is my favour] and carry credit cards which we keep for unforseeable circumstances. This is because of possible scamming and high interest rates.

As to the amount you can take in cash, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that you need to declare if you have USD10,000 or more but I am not 100% certain about that. In any case, I would want to keep a low profile as if someone arrives in most countries with a load of cash, suspicions as to what it is for are immediately raised.

Archi

8. Re: Australian Dollar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Wadduwa