We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Meal Worth It?

Which Sunny Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
190 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Airline Meal Worth It?

Booked holiday directly with Balkan flying from Leeds/Bradford but have since been notified that we are having to collect further passengers at Humberside on route, therefore not arriving at Bourgas until 2am in the morning! Would you say the inflight meals are worth purchasing (charging £16 per person each way). Or would we better just organising something ourselves? Planning on going out for a pub lunch that day as not flying until teatime.

Fortunately, we get dropped off first on our return journey and the plane then travels onto Humberside.

Kind regards

Amanda :o)

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

I find airline meals a bit of a rip off. You can take your own food or do as we do, and get a meal deal from Boots in the departure lounge at the airport.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

are you allowed to take food onto the plane that you make at home eg sandwhiches? i always thought this would be confiscated at security

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

Its only liquids that you cannot take through security.

Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
7,776 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

As WL says. Wait until you are in the departure lounge and buy a meal deal for the plane. Better value and more eatable. Airline food is awful.

Toonman

wirral
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

No don't get the meal, especially on Balkan. It is awful. Take your own food and buy your drinks in the airport. 2 girls on our flight home on friday bought 2 cans of coke and it cost her £5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a lovely holiday

Shell

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

airport meals are a rip off

but sometimes airline throw them in for free

best going to the supermarket and picking up some sandwiches snacks and sweets the prices on the plane are shocking

Stirling
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

Hi,

The meals on Balkan flights are not brilliant but I have had worse.Usually you get a container with hot food,, such as chicken & rice with veg & a tray with 2 rolls, ham,cheese,butter & tomato to make up yourself,a choccie biscuit & a couple of sweeties.You are served your choice of tea or coffee & a choice of soft drink--cola or fanta--in plastic cups.We fly from Glasgow & the food has been the same for years.Also check the price you have been quoted as we pay £16.00 each return. Food & drink at Bourgas airport is very expensive now compared to a few years ago.

Cheers

Moira.

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

We take sandwiches, crisps, biscuits, allsorts from home. No problem with security. I always put the sandwiches in a clear freezer bag though. The first time we flew with Balkan, last year, we ordered 2 coffees to have with our picnic. The only trouble was, they used hot water from a plastic jug, so when we got our coffee it was only luke warm. It will be coke this year.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

i would give the airline meals a miss. As the others say get a Boots deal or make up some sandwiches.

Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline Meal Worth It?

The food on Balkan is the worst I've had on a plane!

We also had the chicken & rice, both going & coming back & it's awful.