We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thieves at bulgaria airport

england
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thieves at bulgaria airport

Hi my husband my daughter her partner and myself went to bulgaria for the first time in august.Sadly to say we will ever never return again! When we arrived at gatwick both the straps on mine and my daughters cases were missing...We ignored that as we guessed they had fell off during transport.As it was early in the morning we were all tired and wanted to get home.When we arrived home my daughter noticed the combination lock on her case was missing and when i checked mine not only was the lock missing BUT it had been cut off completely (which i cannot lock my suitcase anymore).I was absolutely fuming as i had just brought the two suitcases new at £70 pound each as they are the new lightweight ones.When i checked my case they had torn open one of the fag boxes and taken out 60 fags.i will continue on the next page!

england
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

THe best part about it was i had only brought back 400 for a friend as none of us smoke.They had opened up my husbands raybans case but it only contained the cheap ones so they left them.They had opened up little cases and boxes but all they contained was diabetic medication.My suitcase was a complete mess.My daughters case had been completely ramaged through bags of jewellery had been ripped open but lucky it was only dress up stuff.

I spoke to a customer at work who had been there and she said when she went with 3 friends they had hairdryers travel kettles hair straighteners loads of stuff taken.I am just letting people know so that when they arrive back from bulgaria to please check their luggage before they leave the airport.

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. There have in the past been reports of this happenning but very few reports this year. Incidents similar to this can happen anywhere in the world and could easily have happenned in Gatwick. Have you reported this to the carrier/ holiday company? You can claim from them or your holiday insurance company.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Bulgaria.

Mentioned in this post
Lancs UK
Level Contributor
549 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

Hi,we had problems in June going through to departures after check in at Bourgas,we have been 9 times now and never before had such chaos.As you scan your handluggage in the staff were making people empty their bags,getting them to seperate many items into the trays.I had to walk back through the scanner at least 4 times,my handbag disappeared ( found it later amonst the panic),my husbands camera was rooted out of his bag,sent round many times thro' the x ray,people were panicing as their stuff was getting mixed up.I think this was deliberate and the staff were just looking for things of value to take.

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

I found security had stepped up in Bourgas, more so in July than in September. All cameras, mobile phones, laptops etc had to be placed seperately in trays, including any electrial chargers, cables etc in hand luggage. They did seem to search all hand luggage more so than in the past. We had no problems and in this day and age I value new security measures before I get on any plane.

Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

Whilst we never had any problems at the airport this year security has been stepped up and people traveling with items such as irons in their hand luggage had them taken off them. ( They could be used as weapons ). What I find strange is thieves only taking 60 cigs instead of all 400 and thankfully there have not been too many complaints on the forum this year. As a reminder Bourgas does offer a shrink wrap service for suitcases and I saw a good number of people using it, although not sure of the price.

I never travel abroad without my hard back cases and I'm pleased to say I have never had a problem in any country. They may be a bit heavier but for security purposes they are sound.

Have to agree with WL, I would rather have good security than lapses.

england
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

Thanks for your replies!

I am 100% with airport security. BUT i had no problem at all with hand luggage as it only contained the essentials money passport etc.

Its the fact that my personal items in my suitcase had been ramaged through.A comment from WL said maybe it happened at gatwick,that could be the case but i have travelled all over the world including a lot of 3rd world countries from gatwick and this has never happened.Also as toonman said about why take 60 fags when you can take 400,well it could be that its easier to put 60 in your pocket and not look suspect rather than trying to walk around with 400 in your pocket.The sad thing is i do travel a lot and sadly i will never return to bulgaria again:(

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
549 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

Having travelled extensively worldwide I take airport security seriously too.We returned from Bourgasrecently,the airport was the quietest I have ever seen it,they only had our flight to handle.There was no inspection of handluggage,we had numerous electrical items in our bags,I had put all liquids into a clear plastic bag but forgot to put it in the tray on it's own and they didn't notice.Where's the consistant approach to security there?!We love Bulgaria but Bourgas airport is awful,when are they going to get rid of those portaloos and get some decent toilets!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

Have to say it is truly the worst airport I have been in. Everything about it was a shambles. Our cases werent interfered with but it was a nightmare experience especially on the return journey. We were left queuing (in the sun) to get into the terminal. It was chaos when we got through the doors. The men in our party had to physically lift all our cases above their heads to even get through the congestion. Nobody would move and tempers were frayed. Totally disorganised. I cringe when I think about it!!!!

I have heard many stories about cases being rummaged. Thinks theres room for improvement in all aspects at Bourgas airport.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

Yes i agree about them toilets when we was flying home there was 3 planes leaving around the same time so the was at leaste 1000 people waiting to depart the airport needs more toilets for the amount of people passing through and not enough seating out on the departure roof as most people was sat on the floor .

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thieves at bulgaria airport

Hi

I've been travelling to Bulgaria for over 10 years now and believe me things are a lot better. I suspect that the incidents of theft have occurred at Bourgas airport and as such you should let the airport director know about it ( details on a previous post ) also the airline. They do take note. The security this year has gone very strict a lot down to the Russian visitors who have no idea what is expected and I enjoy watching some of there antics helps pass the time. After being asked for my passport by security I pointed out that his job was to check my bag and that immigration to check my passport he shrugged his shoulders and that was that. I try to travel light whenever I travel helps with a lot of problems. As to Bourgas being the worst airport NOT A CHANCE there are meany worse and the toilet's sorry it's Bulgaria enough said.

Mentioned in this post