We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Which Sunny Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
553 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Hello Folks - Despite going to Sunny Beach twice yearly for the last seven years, I am relatively new to Trip Advisor, and certainly the SB Forum. On a very positive note, what a good find, so firstly can I say a massive Thanks to the frequent contributors, who not only tirelessly promote the resort and its facilities, but provide some excellent timely information, hints and advice that I have found to be so valuable. Being seasoned campaigners we used the forum to discover new places to try out, and was so not disappointed. We saw only one dodgy street fruit seller and had no propositions from the ladies of the night this year ... must be middle age eh?

On a more negative theme without labouring the point, there are obviously visitors to SB from right across the social spectrum, and as such have varying expectations and tastes, therefore in the wonderful democratic world that we live in of free speech, are we not entitled to pass opinion on whether we rate an establishment or service, be it good bad or indifferent? We should be allowed to make informed decisions based on our findings without getting embroiled in exchanges with proprieters taking exception to poor reviews. Should they be accepted with the same humility of good ones? In my humble opinion is it our view points and recommendations that actually make a forum. Moving on to ALL the positives ... (well maybe not the luggage tampering)

FLIGHTS - we have deviated away from the farcical hop on and off at terminal controls at both Leeds/Bradford and Humberside with Balkan, and have opted for the Thomson flights from Doncaster/Sheffield. Less hassle and cleaner, comfortable flights with a more pleasant English air crew. It's a relatively short flight so no worries. HOWEVER on both occasions this year upon returning home from Bourgas, our cases have been unlawfully entered and tampered with. Minor thefts have occurred, such as after shave, yet we are wise enough to keep valuable safely in our hand luggage. As previously reported on here it is the wider security implications that cause me concern and anxiety. I have contacted the relevant authorities as it is worrying that such easy access is afforded to luggage going INTO the hold!! The lack of response has been shocking ... watch this space for any updates.

ACCOMODATION - Bravo 5 - Ideally located around the corner from Djannys, almost opposite the Izola/L and B. Perfect location with great pools, bar, immaculate gardens and friendly staff with 24/7 security. Activity levels around pool were just about right in both June and Sept. Peaceful, yet close enough to all the essential bars and restaurants. Found a good little spot next door too, under the Ryor that did outrageouly cheap but gorgeous Karvarma and good draught beer for a cheeky lunchtime change from the pool bar.

RESTAURANTS - We visited some of our favourite tried and tested restaurants, however a new one stood out from the crowd by a mile -

BOLERO - which was sheer excellence in all aspects, and hopefully will be our number one for years to come. I will pen a seperate review for the restaurant category to deservedly move them up the listings hopefully. Angel the waiter is very efficient and the food is to die for.

BOMBAY GRILL - Tried this a couple of times again, as usual absolutely top class Indian cuisine with really good service. The head waiter recalled we had spent some time there in June and even though off duty he ensured we were very well looked after. The Manchester trained chef and owner is also a great guy who is passionate about his food and getting it right for the customer.

ARENA - Have walked past this place so many times and only tried it due to them being extremely accommodating in respect of sport coverage. We asked them to access the Super League play offs, and on three occasions the boss sorted us with our own big screen and top seats. The food was surprisingly good and reasonably priced for mainstream flower street. We discovered this place is owned by the same management of FUNNY BAR which is quite expensive for drinks but always worth a visit to see the very versatile and loud Step by Step - good musicians with a great female vocalist. All four places mentioned have free wifi access for your smartphones!

DJANNYS - No queues in Sept. Always quality food with great prices. Tried some of their Bulgarian dishes which were delightful. The only downside of this place is the lack of familiarity displayed by the staff which I believe is just the way it is run for such a large floorspace.

CONDOR - Only one visit but always good to see Vasgo and co. the Steak with onions still takes some beating.

BISTRO BILLYS - On the back of review gave it a go and had both the lamb and pork off the spit roast. A carnivores dream, great meat with copious amounts. Good service and shots thrown in. Will be back.

MORRIS - Again on the back of the reviews on here tried it one lunch time. Excellent friendly attentive service and the pasta dish and fish selection were good and the cheese garlic bread was spot on. Do not think this place is worthy of the number one slot, but will reserve judgement until evening meals have been savoured.

BARS - Tried so many for research purposes only .... and in typical fashion they are more expensive nearer the sea front. Thought JACKS was particularly expensive compared with others like MALINAS and some in that main square area. The best one with the best measures and staff was the CONDOR near the market - the measures of vodka are so good that hypothetically you could walk into a Stella sign outside of Atol and nearly knock yourself out! A Stella headache with a diference. Toonman laughed a little!! On the subject of beers the local draughts are pretty good, and theres not much to choose between Schemenko, Zagorka and my favorite Kamenitza. The latter is crisper and coincidentally brewed by Busch Anhauser who make Budweiser! We also liked DAKS and the band in there. Sadly we ventured in on Arthur Guiness promotion night so had to enter into the spirit and dip sample five or six pints of the finest black stuff in the resort.

Add to the mix the glorious weather, lovely people we met, first class beach and other amenities like the close proximity water park, go karting, funfair and crazy golfs etc there is pretty much something for all. Have done the lovely Nessebar and St Vlas to death so am going to try the further afield Sozapol next season.

Anyways enough waffle... So having gone above and beyond the call of duty sampling all these fine wares for the benefit of forum feedback, I will now wobble through the winter, knowing we have to endure the punishment all over again next year!!!

'Til then ... All the Best & Regards to all .... Shauno.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

shauno

What an absolutely excellent review. Very interesting reading!

Ipswich
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Brilliant review Shauno! Try Morris one evening next year, I am sure you will think it deserves its number 1 slot!! Sounds like you had a terrific time, roll on next year hey!

Ireland
Level Contributor
341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Thank for that excellent info. Saved your post.

Helen

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Great review mate I too have been going years but great to pick up on the new places can you place Bolero for me as I heard good reviews and want to try it next year.

Thanks

Dave

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
553 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Hi mate ... From the main through road at the junction with Flower street walk towards St Vlas, keeping the market area to your left. Go past Bombay Grill and the Police Station, then about 200m along turn left, and about 50m down on the right is the gem called Bolero .. its opposite an industrial car wash. Hope you enjoy ... Cheers Shauno.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Good effort fella. Guess you like food drink and music. Dont make you a bad person.Wish me and the lads had those recommendations back in July. It seems like a lifetime ago now back in sunny Southampton. Small world innit, my boss tried that same Bravo out 3 years ago and really raved about the place. May try it again next year with the girlfriend if flight prices come down a bit. Sadly she fancies USA. One you did not mention was the Iris which we used a few times for the best pizzas around. Tom.

Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
7,718 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Hi Shauno, How's the head? Great report, you must have taken the day off work to write it, very comprehensive.

Have to agree about Bolero, immaculate and food was brilliant. Angel was a gentleman, great service.

Great to meet you and Susie and hope to see you same place same time next year.

Gordon & Audrey

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Great report, hope it gives everyone some great recommendations.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
553 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

Hi Toonman and others,

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated.

We thoroughly enjoyed your company and putting the world to rights! Disappointed we missed the meet with WL and a great crowd by all accounts. Looking at last few days in May into June next year for first innings.Hope to catch up then if possible. Take care of yourself and Audrey.

Keep up the good work on here - will be bugging out myself for a while with many plates to spin.

Kind Regards Shauno

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honest Overview of SB - 2011

fantastic reading your report Shauno, and so sorry we missed you in September, hope to catch up with you next year.

Get answers to your questions about Sunny Beach