We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Sofia

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Sofia

Hi

We are flying into Sofia but have rented a villa in Sunny beach ( flights were so much cheaper ). Can anyone tell me how the roads are between Sofia and Sunny beach as we are renting a people carrier. We have 4 teenage kids who are keen to see a bit of the country on the way.

Can anyone tell me where a good place to stay is on route just for one night?

How about petrol costs ?

Any information on this little trip would be sooo appreciated as we have never been to Bulgaria before.

Thanks

Juliet x

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Sofia

A-95 2,69 lv

Disel 2,74 lv

1GBP= 2,33979 lv

1 Night in Plovdiv ------->

1 Night in Veliko Turnovo <---------

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Sofia

Hi .

you will find the road down is not a problem we drive this road regularly we usually find it takes about 4/5 hours we usually stop for something to eat at the Happy bar/grill just outsid stara zagora i would agree with previous post if you are overnighting on the way down then Plovdiv is quite fair this is about 1/3rd of the distance then you have about 265 km to sunny beach driving in Bulgaria is not a problem as long as you are aware of what is going on around you

Robbie

Edited: 28 March 2012, 11:41
Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Sofia

Hi.

if staying in Plovdiv try the Star hotel in the centre this is just off the main street and a short walk to the small amphitheatre which is at the top of the street also just next door to a happy bar&grill good for breakfast.

Robbie

Edited: 28 March 2012, 11:46
Burgas, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Sofia

Depending on what time you arrive in Sofia there is really no need to stop overnight as the journey will take you about 4 hours. I think that Stara Zagora or Nova Zagora if you do decide to stop as this is half way between Sofia and Sunny Beach. Or maybe spend the time in Sofia and have a look around there is a very nice hotel called the Jasmin which has great views across Sofia and you could arrange for them to collect you from the airport and then have your hire car brought to the hotel, This way you wont spend hours looking for the hotel that you have booked on the way down, because believe me its hard to find places in citys and towns. and you can have a nice drive down the next day taking your time.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Sofia

Thank you so much for your advice .... I really have appreciated it . Any other tips and advice on places to see and things to do .please let me know .

Thanks again

Juliet

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Sofia

We flew into Sofia two years ago. We spent the night in Sofia (hotel booked in advance) and hire car delivered to the hotel following morning. We didnt drive direct to the coast but took a couple of days to drive through the mountains visiting the Rila Monastery and Bansko. , finding small hotels on the way. On the return journey we drove direct to Sofia in about 5 hours. I have had no problems driving in Bulgaria, mind your speed limits and just let any crazy Bulgarian drivers pass!

Be aware that easyjet fly into Terminal 1 and the car hire companies are usually in Terminal 2. There is a free mini bus to take you between the terminals, so do not pay for a taxi!

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Sofia

That's great advice .thanks. I think our plans are now .......... drive directly to Sunny beach and then on the way back take a longer route home exploring as we go. Our teenage kids are just keen to get there once we land .

Which car hire company did you use ? We found one called " budget cars " which do seem to be cheaper. However , We'd rather pay a bit more for a car that will actually get us to our destinations ....... or has anyone used this company and found them good ? We have to book the car soon as we need a people carrier as there is 6 maybe 7 of us .

Thanks again everyone for your advice ........ really is helpful

Juliet

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Sofia

Hi .

sorry cant help you with info on Budget cars in the past have hired from what was Budget rent a car but for last 10 years have been hiring from company called ts travel.net they will meet you at airport with no problem also other companies to look at are economy car hire in Bulgaria they also will meet at a/port and company called motoroads their depot is in the tranpark just outside the airport also meet at a/port. hope this gives you some ideas have had a look on their sites they all have opel Zafiras for hire .

Robbie

Edited: 29 March 2012, 10:31
Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Sofia

That's brilliant Robbie .......really kind of you. This weekend we want to get it all booked up. My older son now wants to come too with his girlfriend so we may well end up booking our own double decker bus lol

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Sofia

I have used various car rental companies in Sunny Beach but from Sofia I used economycarrentals.com Had no problems with them.

The only company I have had problems with was OK carhire in Sunny Beach. I was not happy with the roadworthiness of the car and when they came to the hotel to pick up the car on return they arrived at 7am instead of 10.30am!! I was not a happy person being dragged out of my bed at that time and refused to hand over the keys until 10.30am...unless they refunded a day's rental! Needless to say, they returned at 10.30amlol

Get answers to your questions about Sunny Beach