We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Levs

LIW
Manchester
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Levs

Noticed the Lev is st 2.24 today at Thomas Cook, im aware the rate is better in resort than UK, is it a fact that as the season gets under way the rate seems to go down.

Late last summer i got about 2.17 in resort if the case is that the rate drops in seasons is it worth getting them now at this rate, any thoughts??? Thanks

Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Levs

The rate today in Bulgaria was 2.37 and I have never got a better rate in the UK than I got in resort.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Levs

I have to agree with you when you say 'as the season gets under way the rate seems to go down' the best we got was 2.25 on two trips last year, after watching much better rates being posted on this forum. I will be taking cash and changing it at our bank and I don't think you can beat doing it that way, not since Nationwide started charging for withdrawals.

I took cash last year but also drew a little out as well and this is BOTH bank charges on my statement!

50 leva @ 2.236 rate = £22.36

cash wdl fee £0.44p

cash wdl fee £1.44

-----------------------------

50 leva @ 2.251 rate = £22.21

cash wdl fee £0.44p

cash wdl fee £1.00

200 leva @ 2.217 rate = £90.00

cash wdl fee £1.80p

cash wdl fee £1.00

Obviously I could have saved money by drawing it all out in one go, but it

looks like I was charged £6.12 to draw out 300 leva on my debit card which seems a bit high to get my own money out! won't be doing that again! Just think how many wasted lev that is and when you're looking to shave a few stonkies off a beer.

Gary.

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
6,943 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Levs

Yes it has made a difference since Nationwide started charging for using your card abroad, but I always take the maximum allowed, think its 400leva and you only pay the £1 transaction fee the once. I still feel their charges are reasonable compared to what some banks charge, and the rate is always higher at ATMs, (rather than using cash), which compensates for the charges.

LIW
Manchester
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Levs

thanks Gary, i got 2.17ish last september, i was just wondering if the rate will go down next month as the season gets under way, last year i just took £50 as advised then took English money, i suppose no one will no the answer whether the rate is going to drop next month.

Just thought the people who had been going year in and year out may know the pattern if this is the case.

Cheers Laura

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Levs

All ATMs abroad, should (at some point in your transaction) offer.....

PAY IN POUNDS OR LOCAL CURRENCY ?

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, choose LOCAL CURRENCY as then you get the exchange rate of the bank whose machine you are using ! If you choose pounds you get the exchange rate of your own bank..... THIS IS ALWAYS LOWER !!!! (see Martin Lewis's money saving expert website)

From the look of the transactions listed above you picked PAY IN POUNDS and got the UK exchange rate which accounts for your comment about not getting the exchange rates posted on here.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 15:36
Burgas, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Levs

The Lev is pegged to the euro, so as the euro changes so does the lev. The exchange rate has nothing to do with the season, if you use an ATM you will be charged by your bank as well.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Levs

So, if the rate is not good ,you have to be angry to European Central Bank ,not to summer season .

1 euro is always 1,95583 german marks =1,95583 levs

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Levs

Hi

As stated above the Leva is pegged to the Euro at 1.95583 so which ever way the Euro goes to the pound so does the Leva.

Nationwide current charges are ( for cash ) £1 + 2% for each transactions.

Last year I drew out the maximum amount on each occasion and with charges was 0.10 leva better than the rate in the resort.

Be very careful about taking money out on a CREDIT CARD as you will be charged interest from the moment the transaction takes place. Always use a debit card.

Hope this helps.

LIW
Manchester
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Levs

thanks, i think i will just get a small amount of levs then take stirling and change it in resort.

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Levs

Have to say we got the same deal this time last year in thomsons. Went to sunny beach 4th to 18th july. crown exchange whilst we were there got to 2.20 the last 2 days we were there and was at 2.16 most of the time during our stay. so we were pleased we exchanged before we went!

We didn't like idea of using atm's just personal choice. Also get them to match bupa travel money which is part of ice travel money so you would get even better rate.