We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 30 solo travelling journalist

Cornwall, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
August 30 solo travelling journalist

50-year-old solo travelling UK-based Canadian journalist coming to Sunny Beach for the first time and looking for advice on active but safe day excursions and recommendations on bars/pubs for similar aged people for drinks and friendly banter...nothing more!

Thanks in advance.

Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

Quite a few of the forum members are coming out this week-end, including myself. Quite a few in the 50+ age group and we tend to meet up at the Condor Garden Bar, next to the bistro on the main road ( Post Office is on the other side ). Age no barrier as all are welcome and it is a lovely setting for a bit chat.

Welshlady will announce get together days, normally a Thursday so probably 4th the next one. However, we are in the Condor most nights from 10pm onwards so ask any of the staff for Welshlady and they'll point her out.

We fly on Sat. 30th from Birmingham.

A day out in old Nessebar town is a must and only 1.30 Lev on the bus. Puts ypu off at terminus which is the entrance to the gates and harbour.

Other excursions include the Blue Mountains or Sozopol &Ropotamo River. You can even have a 2 day trip to Istanbul. Local tourist offices will have excursions on display and worth remembering that hotel reps charge a lot more for the trips than local guys. Recommend Condor Travel next to post office.

Map of the resort here. Zoom in/out to suit. Hotel Kuban on main street regarded as the very centre.

http://zoom.it/3bia#full

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

We could do with a good journalist to produce a more balanced article about Sunny Beach to counter the drivel produced last year depicting it as an adolescent booze pit!

Lots there the same time as you Scott. Hope you have a great time...some good bands round the place too. Try to get yourself to the TA meet as Toonman says.

Jules

Cornwall, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

Many thanks toonman and Jules. Great advice and I will pop by for a drink. I am staying at Hotel Globus, so a stone's throw from the Condor Bar if I am not mistaken from reading posts on this forum.

I did see the programme and it's pretty predictable ''Club Rep-style' predetermined premise. Has not put me off at all or coloured my perception as I have seen and read plenty of good reports on Sunny Beach as well.

The trip is a last minute decision to seek solace in the sun, sand and sea of Bulgaria versus the rain, mist and cloud currently enveloping Cornwall.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

So, as you are keen to mention you're a journalist, does that mean there is an agenda behind it - is it purely a recreational trip, or is it a 'working' holiday?...

Cornwall, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

Strictly recreational Phil W, hence the question about active and safe day trips.

Any suggestions are welcome, Nessebar looks an absolute must and I am contemplating a trip to Istanbul.

Any article I may or may not write will focus on the history of the region and sights worth seeing.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

i know this is not the right thread but im pretty new to ta trip adviser have sent me 2 emails on 2 different days from other ta members but there is no content on them is this sometimes normal or could it be spam thanks pauline

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

Fair enough, had to be asked :) there's a large dollop of scepticism regarding the media these days and Bulgaria seems to have been unfairly under fire for the last year or so...

Nessebar is definitely the 'must see' part of the area, an antithesis (in part, at least) to the Blackpool-escque style of Sunny Beach. Note that it's split into two parts - old and new. Obviously it's the old part that people general refer to (although "old" is really a bit of a misnomer. Think more "rebuilt old style"), although the new town is also a fine place to go - lots of good places to eat and drink, and often a fair bit cheaper because it's the underdog, so to speak.

If you like Nessebar, and want some more of the same, then there's also Sozopol further to the south, again another town with a new/old split. A little bit smaller, and also a little bit less commercial as it's further away from Sunny Beach. You can get there quite easily from Nessebar by catamaran (www.fastferry.bg).

You might also want to visit Sveti Vlas whilst you're there: a nice little village just to the north of Sunny Beach. I won't call it authentic Bulgaria, as it's really not - it's still very tourist, but it's much more authentic than Sunny Beach. Walking around the backstreets there will give you a little taster of what Bulgaria is really like, and walking around the marina will give you a taster of what Bulgaria is like for the affluent. The local public transport system is good, you can get there on the bus for the equivalent of around 50p in Bulgarian leva.

Incidentally, for "safe day trips", do you mean that as in non-dangerous activities, or just generally keeping out of harms way? Obviously normal rules for tourist areas apply (don't go wandering around dark places at night, flashing your cash or bling, etc), but in general Bulgaria is a safe country to walk around out of resort. It's actually a far less xenophobic place than the UK is, with small community-orientated villages. If anything it puts our intolerant British culture to shame.

Cornwall, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

Thanks Phil, great advice. Those places sound exactly what I am looking for, authentic and ancient. I appreciate your considered reply, loads of information in it, all very valuable.

I am a common sense traveller so will apply the same logic that has seen me safely through the first 50 years.

And, yes, sadly there is an element in my profession who have done it a great disservice.

Thanks again.

9. Re: August 30 solo travelling journalist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sunny Beach
Recent Conversations