We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Hi there

Thinking of going to Golden Sands this summer with family. Was wondering is it still cheap over there? Anyone can give approx prices for dinner/drink? Also, thinking of maybe avoiding the mayhem of Golden Sands and choosing a resort/town next to it? Any ideas - afraid don't know this region at all!

Any help - much appreciated!

Thanks

Olga

Varna, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Hi Olga,

Good idea to visit Bulgarian Black Sea coast during the summer. There are places for everyone. Golden Sands is a perfect for young people but unfortunately almost all the hotels offer only All Incl./ the worst thing in my opinion/. St.St Constantine and Elena resort is quieter amd more romantic.

Varna also offers its unique atmosphere.

As for prices they vary according to the level. Ordinary for dinner 10 EUR, large beer 1.5 - 2 EUR, bottle of wine from 5 EUR to...

It will be my pleasure to answer all your questions.

Dany

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Dany, thank you so much for your reply!

I guess it's not as cheap as I imagined!! But still cheaper than Europe :) I'm looking for somewhere with enough to do for my parents and my kids (try to marry these two generations!) - kids being 7 and 10. And at the same time quiet at night! Don't want to be surrounded by discos.... What could you say about Alen Mak neighbourhood? Is St Constantine & Elena a bit old-fashioned?

Also, I was thinking of staying in a self catering apartment and struggle to find much accommodation of that type - even in popular Golden Sands, never mind neighbouring villages!

Thanks for your help so far!

Olga

3. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 14:04
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Thanks, Dany :))

Will have a look at all the sites you mentioned - hopefully will find something!!

Great help,

Thanks again

Olga

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Olchik1972

I would just like to say that Golden Sands is one of my favourite holiday destinations. My husband and I first visited in the 1990s and have went back many times since. We have been on a few family holidays to the resort and my 2 granddaughters now aged 12 and 15 have been many times from a young age and loved it. So we are a mixed age group just like your family.

Can I suggest that you look at the Balkan Holidays brochure. The reason I suggest this is that we have had 2 free child places many times by puttimg one child in each room with 2 adults. Just make sure that they do fly from your local airport into Varna and not Bourgas as that would involve a long coach transfer of over 2 hours.

I definately wouldnt recommend Alen Mak area. Also please note that Golden Sands is quite hilly and theres lots of hotels up the back of the resort. Fine when you are walking down to the beach but we used to take the mini train back up again. B&B is the best option. Every hotel we have stayed in has given us really nice varied breakfasts.

Regarding prices.....Bulgaria is still brilliant value. The cost of food and drink is far far cheaper than most other popular holiday destinations. Your money will stretch further!

Hope this helps a little.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Thank you Goodtotravel!

The best option we found (flights/apartment) - is Alen Mak. We want a self catering place, not a hotel, and I can't find anything decent in Golden Sands. I hear you say definitely won't recommend Alen Mak. Can I ask you why? I read on the net it's a University (real) town with local restaurants, where Bulgarians come to eat; not just tourists and hotel blocks... I'd appreciate if you give me some insight, as still in doubt about this whole thing!!

Thanks

Ol

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Hi again Olga

Sorry if my post put you off the idea of Alen Mak or caused you any concern. That wasnt my intention. To be honest I havent actually stayed in that area but only passed through so I am certainly no expert. I can remember reading the most awful reviews quite a while back on a hotel called Alen Mak so possibly the name has stuck in my mind and I am fairly certain I have read reviews on the area (not very complimentary). However, please do not let that put you off. You may go along there and thoroughly enjoy it.

If you do not fancy Golden Sands itself then think about St Konstantine. We first went there many years ago when it was called Drouzhba and loved it.

We always visit when we stay in Golden Sands.

Regarding prices we regularly travel to other destinations, Turkey, Portugal, Spain to name just a few and I really do think that Bulgaria is still great value and your spending money will go further.

I do hope you make the right choice. Good luck!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Oh, thanks!! I did read that review about hotel alen mak 7 - does sound pretty bad... The complex I found is a different one, and had good reviews. It's the area itself that has NO information/presence on the net... Well, I guess if there's not much to do there, we'll just go to golden sands or st Constantine :))

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

Sure you will enjoy it wherever you choose. Maybe you would do a review when you get back.

Regards.

Martinez, California
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Sands - cost of eating out etc

You might want to consider renting our villa..It is just south of Varna, the last village along the coast line. The beaches are great, not to crowded, and you can walk to them, 15 minute walk, unless you are lazy and want to drive down. They have a new restaurant/bar, that we went to almost every night, because it was cheap and good. Raknitka is one of the best kept secrets, with it's fabulous beaches, great location, where you could drive into Varna, every day, or just relax on the balcony and enjoy the view. We live in California, most of the year, but we prefer our summer vacation home in Raknitka.

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rakitnika/140724

Get answers to your questions about Golden Sands
Recent Conversations