We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

California
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Topic
Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Need to decide where to stay!

Telegraph Cove looks like it would be picturesque...

and we do enjoy older buildings, so realize they are not luxe.

Anyone stayed at either or both of these spots?

Please help us decide where to stay.

Thanks!

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Hidden Cove Lodge has a great location -just a few minutes by boat from Telegraph Cove but with no neighbours in sight. Both Tide Rip [the local grizzly viewing provider] and MacKay Whale Watching [the better local killer whale tour company] will pick you up directly from the dock at Hidden Cove.

We've had good wildlife viewing on the Lodge grounds with black bear, black tailed deer, harbor seal and steller sea lion among others.

The room at HCL are simple but it has a cozy feel, the hosts are friendly and the food good.

Telegraph Cove is sort of a funky little 'community' with a decent restaurant, small whale museum and a couple of gift shops. The accomodations are plain but it is a handy base for visiting the area. Just across the little harbour are some new condos that pretty much ruin any rustic ambience for the area.

cheers

Jerry

California
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Thanks, Jerry!

Have you stayed in the cabin or 'cottage' at Hidden Cove,

or the regular lodge rooms?

Any preferred ones? (if there several times,

I could use your insight) :-)

Maybe one room or cabin/cottage

has a more enchanting view? (if there

are enchanting views from there?)

Ooo...and is breakfast of some sort generally included

at Hidden Cove? Did you find the dinners worth

doing? (or do you prefer to eat in Telegraph Cove itself)?

Thanks again so much!

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Hi

We have just returned from there. We were disappointed with Hidden Cover Lodge mainly because of the attitude Sandra had - we were made to feel that we should be honoured to stay there rather than being treated as guests. Dan was a nice guy though. The setting is fantastic but a shame that they don't do more to the place. THe rooms are small but clean and the breakfast and dinners good but there is little choice. For breakfast you get what you are given. If you can definitely go for the cabins as they were lovely. We would stay there again but only if we had a cabin.

Telegraph COve is a touristy little community, lovely but very small. 1 restaurant, 1 shop etc etc. great to visit but not somewhere you would want to stay forwever. Tide Rip tours are great we saw some awesome bears and we went whale watching with Stubbs although we saw nothing.

California
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

THanks so much for sharing! Means a lot to us, as we try to decide.

Did you consider MacKay's from Hidden Cove? I guess they'll pick you up? However, if no whales for Stubbs, I'm sure none for others either. Did you do an afternoon tour?

How was the weather? Freezing on the boat?

Any 'facilities'?

Please share more on Tide Rip if you have a second.

And lasty, did you get inside one of the cabins at Hidden Cove?

What was nicer? The space being bigger?

The decor? Closer to where wildlife might be spotted on the grounds? Did you have any luck w/that? Heard occasionally black bear can be seen from there?

Lastly, how many nights were you there? And did you do dinner each evening? We're vegetarians so not sure if they would do that, but we can sometimes do fish. I did not a lack of friendliness from Sandra BOTH on the telephone and via email.

So now I'm truly torn. :-\

She did seem pretty brusque both times.

How long a drive to Telegraph Cove if wanting to eat there once?

Was it a pain to do in the dark? Thanks again so very much!! :-)

California
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Also they have two cabins/cottages.

One is 200 and one 300. (way too much for us)

Not sure if you saw both?

Perhaps you saw the 300 one & that's why is seemed so much nicer? Again, not sure which area has prettiest views...

the main house, or the cabins...? Thanks again! :-)

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

The cabins are next to each other, so views are identical, and only a three minute walk from the main lodge.

Regarding whale watching -MacKay's have a much faster boat and can cover more than twice the area covered by Stubbs. Both boats have full bathroom facilities and plenty of room inside. MacKay's provide a tasty hot lunch.

Interesting comment about Sandy at Hidden Cove -we got alomg great with her but I've heard a similar report a couple of years ago.

Dan is fun and a genuinely nice guy.

cheers

Jerry

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Regarding Tip Rip -the owner is a true conservationist who knows grizzlies and their habits very well. His other guides include an ex RCMP officer who is a bear expert. Grizzly viewing at the Glendale Creek viewing stands can be a lifetime memory. Our last visit a first year cub was swatting at the viewing stand gate [15 feet below us.....] while momma and the cubs twin looked on. Our second last trip a female grizzly finished taching her cubs to fish then ambled up on to the shore, lay down and began to nurse the cubs 50 yards from the stand. A memory of a lifetime.

cheers

Jerry

California
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Thanks, Jerry!

I see how the cabins could have the same view as each other,

but do you figure the same as the lodge rooms have too?

Just trying to decide if they are worth the extra money, as we're kind of splurging on this trip, already. (seeing if we can 'pull back' anywhere or not) ;-)

We don't feel a great need for space itself. (esp. since not in rooms much)

However, if other aspects are way better in the cabins/cottages, like the gen'l quaintness, etc. or having one's own

fireplace, etc...perhaps worth it.

Glad to hear your experience w/owners better. Odd how she

seemed cold when I called too. (not eager to answer any questions, etc.) Perhaps she's having an off week or something!

Thanks again!

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Really the view from the lodge rooms [those facing the water] overlooks the same little bay as the cabins- but at a bit of a different angle.. The view from the porches and dining area is just about the same, maybe better.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the view -especially if you are going to be out exploring / whale watching much of the time anyway.

I DO suggest MacKay's for the killer whale observation, rather than Stubbs.

cheers

Jerry

California
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hidden Cove Lodge or Telegraph Cove lodging?

Fleece...

When were you there?

Went to Stubbs to find out more about their whale patterns

and from their log, they seem to indicate hitting orcas every single day for quite some time. In fact, I wish we could be there right now! (based on sightings)

Gosh....Telegraph Cove does look picturesque. But you say...'not a place you'd want to stay forever. Forever is one thing...

but for a few nights? Since you had a fairly negative review of Hidden Cove, would you stay at Telegraph Cove next time?

Please share more.

Get answers to your questions about Port McNeill