We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast Trail Transport options

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
West Coast Trail Transport options

Please help us! We are 3 New Zealanders in our mid 20's getting prepared to do the west coast trail in a weeks time. We have a vehicle that we are planning to leave at Bamfield - from there we will walk the trail to port renfrew. I would love to have some in put from locals or people who have done the trail in the past about the cheapest way to get our vehicle back from Bamfield??

I see that there is a bus that goes between the 2 spots but it is $80 per person (more than we were hoping to pay). We have talked about sending one person on the bus to get the vehicle and drive it back to us... but we wondered if there are any other options? Is hitch hiking an option along this road?

I wondered also if there was another group doing the trail at a similar time with a similar problem but in the opposite direction?? perhaps there is a way to car swap? could be complicated tho i guess..

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

22 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

Yes and Greyhound is going out of business-cancelling routes left, right and centre-here in Canada they have a terrible reputation.

Once you rent those cars you're going to find out just how expensive things are here in Canada-and have you checked that you're allowed to take those rentals on gravel roads?

Now I have rented on the Island and taken rentals on gravel roads just never mentioned where I was going or went to rental Staff but I also do a meticulous job of detailing the car before bringing it back.

And then there's insurance.....

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,913 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

Ahhh! From the States! That explains a lot. Gas on Maui is cheaper than it is on Vancouver Island. Heck, so is the cheese and milk!

It is what it is, and you don't have to use it. I am glad you will be able to use two cars and do it cheaper. That's what I would do. But if it is a rental, do read the contract carefully, because if you get into trouble on a gravel road, even your own car insurance won't cover you if they can prove that you "broke" the car rental contract.

Hope you get good weather for your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Spokane, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

Thank you very much! We are very excited about this trip coming up!

Grande Prairie...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

We are in the commercial transport industry,80 dollars for a 4 hr bus trip on a mostly gravel road is a steal ,trail users are fortunate is have a service like this ,we have used this service thx

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,913 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

This post is over a year old. It should have been closed already!

Victoria, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

Hello sir. Thank you for your comments on this thread. I appreciate these posts are from a couple years ago, but the logic still stands. To operate buses on a regular schedule, on these roads, is not easy. It is also incredibly expensive to beat up buses every day, and still offer working air conditioning and as much comfort as possible. I love it when people compare our prices to other bus companies. No one I know destroys their buses faster than we do.

Are you involved with the motel, of close to the same name, in Nanaimo?

Thank you.

Michael Anderson

West Coast Trail Express

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,001 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

Michael ~

Your post has not gone to anyone in particular, even though you clicked on the individual reply button. We don't know who "Hello sir" is as a post simply gets added to the thread. The way around it is to use the member's name in your post, @bus792, [comment].

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

Aren't all the roads involved in the circle route paved these days... from what I've seen of the bus being used it's already an old beater so not much to worry about. It's a service for backpackers looking for a good hike nothing more nothing less. If they want to pay for the service they will if they want to bum a ride they will so be it. The logistics issues of a car rental for a multi-day hike that is not circular are also a valid concern.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

The road to Bamtown is not paved nor will it be-not in the lifetime of anyone posting here.

20. Re: West Coast Trail Transport options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 September 2016, 20:05

Reply to: West Coast Trail Transport options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Renfrew