We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fastest Travel from Seattle?

St Paul
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fastest Travel from Seattle?

Have my reservations made for 3 glorious days in Sechelt in July. However, I failed to make a reservation for the ferry and now the ideal crossing is closed to reservations. I am worried because when we booked our flight months ago I didn't give it any thought that we would be arriving on a Friday, mid-afternoon and would be trying to "get out of town" like everyone else. If we are really lucky with our travels, we JUST might make it to the terminal early enough to get on the ferry as stand-by. I really don't want to waste an entire day just trying to get to Sechelt. Are there any suggestions on the FASTEST way to drive (rental) from the Seattle airport to the ferry terminal? I saw some postings on this topic a few months ago but didn't record the information. Now I can't find it at all. Thanks in advance, can't wait to arrive.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,386 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fastest Travel from Seattle?

I have just tried out the reservation system for Horseshoe Bay - Langdale (the ferry that would take you to Sechelt) and the reservation system is not ready yet. Which just didn't make sense to me with only 2 weeks to go until July, so I just phoned BC Ferries who tell me there have been some schedule changes and that the revised system will be up and running at 10:30 this morning (which will be about 3 hours from the date stamp on this post. I hope you will try making a ressie again after that, but don't be slow!

I certainly don't mean to rain on your parade, at all. However, there is another reality check for you to consider. The border on a Friday in July, mid afternoon will involve heavy traffic and very likely long waits. Unfortunately, we do often hear of 2 hour waits to get through on a Friday/Sunday. The Friday ferries in the summer tend to have 2-3 sailing waits for general boarding as well.

So considering which ferry to book will be a consideration to give some thought to.

Let us know how you do and we can certainly help you further.

Edited: 16 June 2010, 15:39
Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fastest Travel from Seattle?

Yes, there has been some changes to the ferry schedule for the summer. Here is a link to the latest ferry information. bcferries.com/bcferries/faces/attachments…

I would suggest looking again at available ferries for reservations.

And like the previous poster has said not only will you have ferry delays you will also encounter border delays. Which time of day were you thinking to get to the ferry terminal? Are you arriving in Seattle mid-afternoon? Or in Horseshoe Bay mid-afternoon? Are you travelling on July 2nd? If so, you might luck out because July 1st is a holiday here so the ferries might be less busy on the Friday as travellers have already made there way over on the ferry on Wednesday or Thursday.

Either way my suggestion is get to the terminal as soon as you can. Horseshoe Bay is a pleasant enough place to wait for a ferry. You can get out of your car, leave the terminal, and go for a walk in the "hamlet" of Horseshoe Bay - even grab dinner.

St Paul
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fastest Travel from Seattle?

Thanks to both. We are coming in on the 16th and staying through the end of the month. Making a circle trip. First ferry crossing is booked!! I think we're set. I appreciate your feedback.

4. Re: Fastest Travel from Seattle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Sechelt
More Sechelt Topics