We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

We will be travelling mid-afternoon on Friday in August. Which ferry will be the most efficient, Swartz Bay or Nanaimo? Thanks for your help.

12 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,445 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

Nanaimo disembarks directly adjacent to the Langdale ferry to Sechelt.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,884 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

Here's a map showing driving times, the ferry terminals and the route. Zoom in for details. Switch to satellite setting for land view.

http://g.co/maps/nswqk

If you are travelling Friday August 3rd, it is the first day of our BC Day long weekend and reservations will be a must. Look into making a reservation anyway because any Friday in August will be busy and it will save you waiting in line for the next ferry or even waiting two ferries.

When you buy your actual tickets at Departure Bay in Nanaimo, mention to the ticket agent that you want to transfer right away to the Langdale ferry line up for Sechelt. Get instructions from him/her. There may be a certain procedure you will need to follow in order for a crew member to look out for you on the Horseshoe Bay side. Usually cars come off the ferry and take off up the hill to the highway.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,580 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

wow, that sounds like a long trip, especially on that day. The only ferry that goes directly to the Sunshine Coast from Vancouver Island is the Comox-Powell River route, and you still have to take the Earl's Cove-Saltry Bay ferry to get to Sechelt.

It looks like you are aware that you are going to have to cross to the mainland and then back over to the Sunshine Coast from there, and on a Friday!! Yikes. Crossings in and out of Vancouver are going to be very, very busy, and you are doing two of them.

As mentioned, to get to Langdale on the Sunshine Coast, you have to leave from Horseshoe Bay. However, I don't know what the protocol is at Horseshoe Bay and you probably have to leave the terminal and re-enter. When you go to the Southern Gulf Islands from the mainland via Swartz Bay, they have it set up so that you can stay in the Swartz Bay terminal and just turn you around to get you on the next ferry. You'd have to check if they have anything similar set up for getting from the Island to the Sunshine Coast.

Leave early!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

Do you need your car? The most efficient way is to fly.

Re: Ferries - For me the most efficient route would be to get the ferry at Swartz Bay and then drive thru the city to get to Horseshoe Bay. I have made the trip thru the city in just over an hour. It would take me longer to get to Nanaimo from Victoria. But - that’s just me - some don’t like the city drive. Also - if I miss a ferry on the Swartz Bay (Victoria) side the next one is only an hour wait. If you miss a ferry in Nanaimo the next one is not for 2+ hours.

If you are taking the Departure Bay (Nanaimo) to Horseshoe route: there are no different procedures when you disembark or crew member to look out for you. There is no U-Turn access, or exit lane back into the terminal when you disembark. You will travel with the ferry traffic up the hill and merge onto the highway. You will travel about 5 to 7 minutes (about 4 kms I think) and take the first exit - #4 Caulfield. Take a left at the stop sign - over the highway and take 1st right at Woodgreen Drive. Drive a couple hundred meters and another right will have you merging onto Hwy 1 West and back to the ferry terminal. Take Exit 3 (far right) to get to the ferry terminal. There is good signage along the way. It’s inconvenient yes - but the views up there are a bonus.

Definitely make reservations for this trip - especially a Friday. I have made this trip numerous times and it is really frustrating when it turns into 8 hours because of sailing waits.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,884 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

Thanks for clarifying bc4me. I know about the through fares on the southern route and was hoping the HB route might have something similar.

Fxmail, you will have to allow 20-30 minutes to get to exit 4 and back to the HB ticket booth for the ferry to Sechelt.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,580 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

Yes, when I read that I was thinking that Trip Advisor needs a "Like" button. :>

Good to know that you take the southern route and drive across town, bc4me, and your reasoning is worth thinking about. I'm not fond of the cross town traffic, especially as the route indicated takes you right through downtown and over the Lion's Gate bridge, but I guess it depends on the time of day.

Sechelt, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

You are better off to fly with Flycoastal. .35 minutes and $130..especially during summer!

Sechelt, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

You are better off to fly with Flycoastal. .35 minutes and $130..especially during summer!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

Dana...look at the date!

This traveller came and left 3 years ago.

Sechelt, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?

You would be better off flying. Try Flycoastal..35 minutes and $130.

Reply to: Travelling from Victoria to Sechelt. Which ferry?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted