We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

Hi, my husband and I & dog are considering 1 week on the Sunshine Coast in August!! We have been only to Gibsons recently for a funeral which prompted us to want to see more of the area!! We will be driving from Edmonton...how should we split our days including Texada Island, Sechelt, Powell River & Gibsons ? Was thinking 2 nights Sechelt, 2 nights Powell River, 2 nights Texada a Island, then 1 night Gibsons before we take the ferry back to Vancouver! Any opinions? Thanks :) how long does it take to get from Texada Island to Gibsons?

57 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

FWIW-Texada has a reputation of being a somewhat gloomy unwelcoming place.

I can't think of any reason on earth to go there unless you like visiting mine sites old & new.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

Hmmmmm really!!!! I know someone who was there and loved it lol.

Is there enough to do for a week between Powell River, Sechelt & Gibsons for a week or shall we need to visit Vancouver a Island for a few days? If Texada Island is that bad???

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

Yes & Yes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,681 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

Here's a bit of info about Texada. There is BC Ferry service to the island which is an achievement in itself these days.

http://texada.org/getting-to-texada/

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

Thanks for the info..we are trying to decide whether to do the Sunshine Coast alone or zipping through in a couple days & heading to Tofino! Or skipping the Sunshine Coast all together and heading straight to Vancouver Island!

We have been to Vancouver Island including Tofino back in 2002..but not to the Sunshine Coast at all other than Gibsons!! I am curious if there is enough to do on the Sunshine Coast for a week!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,681 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

I would pop up one level to the Sunshine Coast Forum and browse through the Top Questions to the right of the page for the thread about what there is to do. Also read other questions there about this and the replies that were given. Enough to fill quite a few days.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

oh ok didn't notice there was a Sunshine Coast Forum, thanks :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

There is much, much more to do on Vancouver Island than on the Sunshine Coast.

I have only stopped at Vananda (on Texada) multiple times on sailing trips north to Desolation Sound and beyond. It is VERY quiet. I think only a few hundred people live on the island.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,992 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

It sort of depends on what you want to do, although looking at your plan, it does look like you want to pop around along with a night here and a night there. Generally, the Sunshine Coast is more of a "sit and relax" kind of place, not much going on for people who don't want much going on.

I don't know anything about Texada, but I do know something about Sam. He has good advice and strong opinions which are not always shared. Take it for what its worth.

I *have* heard really lovely things about Savory Island which is on my "to do" list.

Do you kayak? Marie from Tourism Whistler (who is a regular on the Whistler forum) was telling me about a trip she did around Copeland Islands Marine Park that looks beautiful. Princess Louisa Inlet is supposed to be stunning, but you have to get up there, either by boat or float plane. I believe there is a lodge at the top end, if you can afford it.

if you feel that you are not going to be able to get what you want from the Sunshine Coast, you could include it as part of a loop with the eastern coast of Vancouver Island, crossing to Comox from Powell River and going down to Nanaimo to return to Vancouver. Look at the Comox Valley, Strathcona Provincial Park and Tribune Bay on Hornby Island to get some ideas for destinations on that side.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!

Thank you!!! I have totally found some beautiful accommodations and places to go to fill the whole week on the Sunshine Coast!! Originally we were going to go from Powell River to Comox but decided now to just stay on the Sunshiine Coast! I will have more questions as to how I can fit it all into a week after I do abit more research, there are some beautiful resorts past Seshelt, I don't think we'll have time to go to Texada!! We do like to kayak but my husbands back is abit off & we"ll have our dog! :)

Reply to: 1 Week on the Sunshine Coast!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted