We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Peaks or Silver Star

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Peaks or Silver Star

Hello, I am planning a skiing holiday in late Feb 2010 and can't decide between Sun Peaks and Silver Star. We are a family of four, two boys 8 and 9, blue run skier/boarders, husband intermediate, and myself, advanced intermediate skier.

We skiied Big White and Silver Star earlier this year and loved them, especially Silver Star. Had great ski in/ ski out at Snowbird Lodge, good quality condo, fantastic ski school and liked the village atmosphere. All things we want again.

If I were able to improve on the experience it would be for a larger village with more restaurants, shops, supermarket. Night life is not important and the cost of accommodation isn't an issue but the quality of skiing/facilites is.

If you have any opinions/ accomm suggestions, I would really appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

I would normally not reply to your inquiry because we have only skied Sun Peaks for a total of 4 days...but no one else has responded so here goes.

The village at Sun Peaks is considerably larger but may not offer more. Lots of places to buy art, jewelry and fur coats but not a lot more in restaurants. No place to buy a newspaper. Nearest supermarket is in Kamloops.

Skiing is more like Big White...lots of intermediate runs, not as much variety.

We selected Silver Star about 10 years ago after hitting about 40 ski areas in western US and Canada. Came back for a week, then a few weeks and finally decided that we would spend most of our winter here.

Liked it so much we bought a condo and then built a home.

I don't think you can go wrong at either place. Hope this helps a bit.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply - your comments are helpful and especially timely as I am planning to finally make some bookings in this coming week. Much appreciated!

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

The snow in Sunpeaks is just amazing!! Especially if you like tons of fluffy white powder. Normally, the amazing snow falls after Christmas. BEST skiing is January even. SunPeaks has a lot to offer the advanced skier... you just need to find those runs. BEST advanced area is up on crystal chair. You can then take a t-bar (which is only open on good visual weather conditions and on weekends) to an even higher point in SunPeaks! There you will find some of the best skiing in my opinion in the province! ...and there won't be a billion other people surrounding you (like in Whistler). For your boys there is a lot of terrain that they might find a little flat on the blue runs when they snow board so skiing might be better for them... or they might wish to try a harder run.

My husband and I just built a house in SunPeaks after researching the other ski hills in the province and we chose SunPeaks because of the fact that it's sunny usually all of the time. Don't get me wrong, it can be cold too. But for some reason when the sun is out every one is just more happy.

Silver Star is a very nice ski area too but you are right there is not as much restaurants or night life. I must admit SunPeaks is no Whistler for night life but it does offer you plenty of different options for dinning. 'Servus' and the 'Delta Restaurant' would be your fine dining and if you go to 'Powder Hounds' you must definately try their Hunter Schnitzel... It's amazing! Then there is Mackers, which is a favorite pub of ours. ...and for the best delicious pizza ever there is High Mountain Pizza which is nice to order in or have a quick slice for lunch and then head back up the mountain... you will smell the pizza as you walk by! Always soooo tempting! So, you definitely have your fair share of restaurants in SunPeaks. If you want a bit of night life try out the pub called Masa's Bar & Grill they often have live bands. Also the pub in the Delta has live music every now and again. Or if you wish to dance it up there is MackDaddy's.

The one thing with Big White is it gets a lot of fog. That's one of the main reasons why we did not choose to build there. The skiing is great in all three places... but by far my favorite is SunPeaks... you won't go wrong.

Have a fun trip wherever you decide to go!

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

These are your dinning options at SunPeaks:

www.sunpeaksresort.com/thevillage/dining.aspx

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

Thanks justParadise, great information! One question - the last poster said there was no supermarket. Do you know where groceries can be bought without having to go to Kamloops? We will eat out most nights but breakfasts, some dinners, keeping the children well fueled etc we would like to prepare in the condo. Any thoughts?

bro
toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

The poster was wrong about no grocery store. There is a very well stocked one on the first floor of the Delta Residences called Bluebird market. We (family of 5) were there last March and pre-ordered groceries via Sun Peaks Grocery Delivery. Service and selection were great as the items are picked up from a grocery in Kamloops and were put away in our cupboards/fridge by the time we arrived. Only problem was cost. Something like a $50 delivery charge and 35% markup. Next-time, hopefully March/10, will definately just buy groceries at Bluebird. Overall Sun Peaks is awesome-great family spot with some good, yet expensive family restaurnats and tons of varied terrain. Let me know if you have any other questions .

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

Thanks Justparadise for your continued help. We are still planning to visit but think it will be mid-March instead so I hope the snow will still be OK for then! Thanks again.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

Thanks to you Bro from Toronto! The grocery issue is an important one so it is good news there is a store there.

justParadise kindly advised the blue runs might have a bit much flat in them for our snowboarder (9 years old, starting to connect his turns, doing blue runs fine at Silverstar but didn't like the flat stuff much). Do you have any comment on this?

Thanks for your time.

bro
toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

Totally disagree with Justparadise's assessment (no offense). I have a 10 year who is also starting to link turns after becoming quite a good skier. I personally skiied tons as a kid, did a bit of racing. After graduating university in '87 stopped skiing because of bad feet and uncomfortable boots. About 6 years ago started boarding and have become pretty good-I can get down anything (no terrain parks for me though!!). Blue runs at Sun Peaks were more than challening enough for me, tons of grooming with nice pitch and great pwder. We especially liked the area a top Crystal Chair (go to the sunpeaks website and you can look at the alpine map) and the blue run of The Sundance Chair. For a little more difficulty and pitch the intermediate try ther uns off Sunburst Chair. Unfortunatley we didn't make it over to Mt. Morrisey, but maybe this March if we are back. Definately look at the ski school for the kids, my daughter 10, son 6 and little one 3 loved it. Expensive but worth it.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Peaks or Silver Star

Thanks for your reply and advice. The ski school is high on the list. Last visit they had morning lessons and then skied with us for the afternoon. Worked really well and improved their skills tremendously. As you say, expensive but worth it.

All we need now is for there to be plenty of snow in March!

Thanks again.

Get answers to your questions about Sun Peaks