We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

Not to be redundant, but the last thread on whale watching didn't really answer the question about the differences in the areas and how it relates to whale watching. Is there any significant differences in the day trips from the south or north parts of the island? I was looking at day trips out of Telegraph Cove and there is a large price difference. Is one better than the other? Thanks for your help.

Is freshwater fly fishing good (trout and steelhead) in the northern parts of the island?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

Not much for Summer Run Steelhead on the Island but lake & stream fishing for Rainbow can be decent-not as good as casting to Pinks & Coho off local beaches though.

If you are targeting fish in local rivers check carefully for closures.

As to Whale watching the North Island is a much wilder place with a lot more marine life-distances are greater as are opportunities-remember a person shouldn't think of a WW trip as only a chance to see large charismatic marine fauna.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
470 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

As SamS has mentioned the chances of greater diversity of wildlife is greater on northern Vancouver Island, and in a much wilder setting than further south on the island.

Your title lists kayaking trips, are you thinking of watching whales from kayak versus on a whale watching boat?

Both methods are excellent ways of viewing whales and other wildlife (I am partial to kayaking) but if you are only considering a day trip and your goal is to see whales then join a whale watching trip on a motorized boat. Even with the excellent wildlife viewing on the north end of the island you can only go so far in a kayak on a day trip and have to hope the whales comes to you (you will likely still see lots of other wildlife).

If you really want to see whales from a kayak then consider a multi-day tour in the area. A kayak day trip is still an excellent activity but keep your expectations lower about seeing whales in a short amount of time.

Not stream fishing but if you are visiting in August consider fishing for pink salmon in the ocean from shore near the Cluxewe River a little north of Port McNeill.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

Whale watching out of Victoria takes about 3.5 hours and the whale is the Orca. Resident Orcas (eat fish).

Whale watching out of Campbell River takes about 6 hours, mid July to mid August, or mid July to end August depending on the company. Transient Orcas (seal eaters) + potentially more wildlife spotting.

North Island will be Humpbacks, perhaps Transient whales plus a whole lot more wildlife.

And here is a description of whales on the WCVI at Tofino: www.jamies.com/site/whale-watching.html

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

Thanks, that was very informative. I am going on a kayaking trip but i am concerned about my arm stamina for a multiple day trip. My husband and I are active vacationer but more in the way of hiking. I am not experienced at kayaking. Should I even consider a multi-day kayaking trip? I would hate to impede the group.

I spoke to Larry at Leisure Suit (on tripadvisor) in Port McNeill about being a guide for freshwater fishing. He was very enthusiastic and seemed to have a passion for VI and fly fishing. Can anyone speak for him as a freshwater guide? My husband is a football coach, so our window for travel is confined to the last weeks in June (not the best time anywhere for fishing). He is also going to fish in the Gold River area. I am needing lots of help on this fishing issue because i convinced him to take this trip over his traditional Grand Tetons fishing trip. We spent three weeks in Banff NP and Jasper NP and loved it so I wanted to see your piece of paradise.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

I wouldn't worry about holding the group back. Most folks on multiday trips won't be regular kayakers but instead will be like you..people who are reasonably active and want to enjoy the outdoors. Not sure but they may even use double kayaks which will give you an easier ride. Kayaking at the north end of the island would be a great experience

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
470 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

Regarding Larry from Leisure Suit Charters - While I have never fished with him I do bump into him now and then and he is a really nice guy and everyone I have met who has fished with him (fresh and salt water) have had nothing but good things to say. He has a very good reputation around town. I am sure if you ask he will be forthcoming on what to expect during the dates you plan to visit (well as much as can be expected when dealing with fish, wildlife, and wilderness).

Same goes for your concerns regarding stamina needed for kayaking. Most guided tours in the area are really wildlife focused and not so much about covering as many miles as possible. Ask different operators about their tours and put you concerns out to them and most will steer you in the right direction.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 05:19
Telegraph Cove
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

Hi Stephanie, You do not mention when you are coming to visit. It makes a huge difference to what you will see and catch in which region.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

When I look at one of Stephanie's other threads, it will be on the Clipper on June 20th and working toward other Island locations a week or so later.

9. Re: Kayaking Trips and Fishing Freshwater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2016, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Telegraph Cove
More Telegraph Cove Topics