We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hopewell rocks low tide

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hopewell rocks low tide

I will be in New Brunswick August.11th and 12th 2011 and my family and I would really like to see the Hopewell rocks at low tide. Ilooked on the hopewell rocks to see what times but i am not sure i know how to read it, it looks like 2-4 is low tide on the 11th but i am not sure. If any one could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hopewell rocks low tide

Just visited Hopewell Rocks. Awesome! On a brochure handed out there was a website address:questions@thehopewellrocks.ca

Also a phone number:1-877-734-3429

Hope this is some help!

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hopewell rocks low tide

Thank-you so much i will give them a call.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hopewell rocks low tide

Hi Onaping!

According to the Canadian Hydrographic Service, low tide at Hopewell Cape, New Brunswick on August 11, 2011 comes at 4:52 a.m. and again at 5:17 p.m. Atlantic Daylight Time.

For about 1 1/2 hours before and 1 1/2 hours after the time of low tide, the water is completely out and the flower pot rocks are standing bare. You can safely walk on the sea floor.

After 1 1/2 hours, the tide will begin to advance in. It's not a rush of water and it's not dangerous, but eventually the water will rise as much as 36 feet above where it stood at low tide. The authorities will close the area at the proper time. More than 1 1/2 hours before low tide the water will be receding, and some time before that they'll have re-opened the steps going down.

Here's the internet address for the Canadian Hydrographic Service, with tide times.

www.tides.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi…

Times from mid-March to the first weekend of November are shown in Atlantic Daylight Time, which is one hour ahead of Atlantic Standard Time and one hour ahead of Eastern Daylight Time. Other readers should note that the times are completely different from day to day and from year to year. Check the tide tables for the date of your visit.

The price of entry isn't cheap. Expect to shell out as much as $9/person.

Also, be sure to bring cruddy clothes and rubber boots, or at least things you don't mind getting permanently discolored. The red Fundy mud will stain your clothes and especially your shoes. There is no way to walk on the sea floor except in the red mud.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hopewell rocks low tide

Thank you so much David you were very helpful. Looks like it will work out perfect for us as we planned to arrive there around 3:30 p.m on August.11th. Thank-you for letting me know about wearing old clothes, I didn't realize that it stained your clothes. That would have been very upsetting to find out after.

How much time should i plan to spend there? Would 2 hours be realistic?

I seen that it costs $9 per adult but i am wondering if that is just for Hopewell rocks or if includes The Fundy National park. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also we will be staying the night in Alma, can anyone recommend a good place to eat supper? Note: I am vegaterian, but my husband and kids enjoy everything.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hopewell rocks low tide

Hopewell Rocks and Fundy National Park are completely separate, and almost 50 kilometers apart. You pay twice.

You should find two hours more than ample time. We didn't notice anything much to hold our interest once we got down to the sea floor. You stroll around the flower pot rocks, you can meander along the shore, but unless someone is giving a presentation about Fundy tidal activity, you'll end your visit by climbing back to the top.

There's an interpretive center up on the plateau with a cafe and git shop.

Alma has a few eating places, but it's not a big town. Moncton, 90 km from Alma, has lots of eateries, but the drive is not practical just as a suppertime commute. What I'd do is contact the host in Alma and let him know your special needs. If he can make a recommendation, then contact the restaurant and ask if they can prepare a suitable meal for you.

David

Waterside, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hopewell rocks low tide

Your fee at Hopewell Rocks is good for 24 hours so if you go to see low tide on the 11th you can go back on the 12th and catch the high tide - no additional cost.

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hopewell rocks low tide

Thanks for everything. I think we will try eating at the Octopus garden in Alma.

8. Re: Hopewell rocks low tide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2015, 08:15