We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early hours flight arrival - car hire or taxi?

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Early hours flight arrival - car hire or taxi?

The flight I'd like to get to Deer Lake arrives about 1am. Does anyone know if the car hire desks operate out of hours or if the taxis are still around at that hour? I've seen the Holiday Inn is pretty close to the airport but don't fancy walking along the highway late at night. Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early hours flight arrival - car hire or taxi?

Highly unlikely the car rental places will be open. I would guess at less than 1% chance but you can check.

Taxis will be available, they always have been in the past. Their rates are a bit out of line in my opinion and they try the scam of having you share a cab but charging both parties for the ride. They tried this with me but I told them if we share the cab, we share the cost equally, they are not getting paid TWICE for the same trip. I ended up taking a cab by myself and the other person took their own cab.

Gros Morne National...
Level Contributor
518 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early hours flight arrival - car hire or taxi?

It has been quite a few years since I have flown into Deer Lake and needed a rental car, but back in 2006 the car rental desks were definitely open for 1:00 a.m. arrivals. And as for the taxis, I cannot comment on being charged twice, but sometimes sharing is a way to avoid a long wait for a taxi to return. For ease of mind I suggest you phone the car rental desk at YDF directly to confirm they will be open.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early hours flight arrival - car hire or taxi?

Thank you for your help. Being a bit of a worrier it's a relief to know I won't be stuck.

Corner Brook, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Early hours flight arrival - car hire or taxi?

You might also try calling the Holiday Inn to have them arrange a taxi for you. They would be more familiar with the different companies in the area, know which ones are reputable, and might have a deal with one of them for cheaper rates.

Have fun!

Brittany

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Early hours flight arrival - car hire or taxi?

Good suggestion, thanks Brittany

Reply to: Early hours flight arrival - car hire or taxi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Deer Lake