We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

Miami
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

Hello - I am all over the place planning a 10 day NS trip. 2 nites in Halifax to start. Then what? First thought was Breton but looks like the drive is really one way in and one way out - wasted time. Then thought of Tidal Bore Rafting and on to Advocate Harbour for 2 nites. Was hoping for a ferry to Digby or Anapolis Royal but can't find any. So - this requires a backtrack to Truro to then head to Digby correct? Then hoped to do the Kemjimk Park (is this worth it and how far from Digby) or head straight to Mahone Bay or someplace south? Should we stay at Mersy River Chalets by the park or is it really a short distance from Digby or Anapolis Royal. Should we instead go to NB by ferry? I am all over the place and have no sense of distance. Seeking - hiking, kayaking, rafting, horsebackriding, fine wine and fine food, accomodations with awesome views. Help! Appreciate all suggestions and thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,805 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

Hi luongo ~

With 10 days you can have a pretty nice visit to NS. If by Breton, you mean Cape Breton Island, it is MOST definitely not a waste of time.

I do know you could spend 3 nights in Halifax quite nicely. It's a 2 hour drive, stops extra from Halifax down to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg, so you could do that as a day trip from Halifax.

Cape Breton Island is something not to be missed. By driving about 3.5 hours from Halifax, stops extra, you could stay 3 nights in Baddeck. It's a pretty town with attractions to see and central to the Cabot Trail which you can do in one day, or spend a night at the top end in order to hike in Highlands NP. If you don't see spectacular views around the Trail, you are indeed wasting your time but not because of the Trail!! Fortress Louisbourg may or may not interest you, certainly a moody place at times with the fog and isolation of a French Fortress back in the day.

You could also head over to the Wolfville area for 2 nights, a really nice area and close to places where you could watch the Fundy tides and not far from Halifax.

A recent thread on the NS forum about walks/hikes in CBHNP: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154972-i830-k6162…

Trip Reports by previous visitors: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-…

That's the best I can do from my experience .... for 8 nights.

When are you doing this? and are you arriving at Halifax by plane?

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

With what you like doing, which isn't the average drive to tourist hot-spots with all the other road tourists type of experience, but a more active get out there and experience the outdoors type of travel - the Advocate Harbour area should certainly remain high in your priorities. I would do a loop along the upper Bay of Fundy which is a 2 1/2 hour drive from the Halifax airport, then head to Cape Breton. Advocate Harbour is a small fishing village set in a out of the way, wild location with Cape d'Or on one side and Cape Chignecto on the other. A good place to spend a few or more days looking at what you want to do. It has some of the most spectacular hiking and kayaking in the country and also some of the best food in the province, with the highest rated restaurant in the province at the Wild Caraway. www.wildcaraway.com This suggested route would give you a taste for some of the highlights for what you enjoy doing, with some other suggestions you can modify to your tastes. novascotia.com/en/…winewhiskeyandwhales

Some other links to check:

Link to Cape Chignecto Park

novascotiaparks.ca/parks/cape-chignecto.asp

Here is a utube video about the trails and paddling at Cape Chignecto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSwxh2mMMA

Link to Outside magazine on top paddling spot on the east coast.

outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/north-ame…

For riding trails and beach rides www.spiritreinsranch.com

Some accommodations suggestions: www.capedor.ca

www.driftwoodparkretreat.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,805 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

Oh well. They can take it or leave it then. :)

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

The website www.novascotia.com is a great source of info & you can order a free tour guide "Doers & Dreamers" which is valuable on your travels.

Here's some suggestions for routes:

Day 3: The South Shore from Halifax to Peggy's Cove & continue on Rte 3 to Mahone Bay & Lunenburg.Then continue on Hwy 103 (to save time) to Kejimkujik Seaside Adjunct below Liverpool. www.parkscanada.gc.ca/keji There are 2 trails (5.5 km & 8.3 km return) that lead down to the coast where you can see the seals basking on the rocks near the shore.

Then take Rte 8 from Liverpool to Annapolis Royal; if you'd rather do one of the hikes at the main Keji park you could stop along the way. (If you decide on that you might want to spend one night here & one night instead of 2 in Annapolis Royal as noted below.)

Stay a couple of nights in Annapolis Royal, I think that you would enjoy a trip to Brier Island & a Whalewatching cruise. There is an interesting hike to the Balancing Rock near Tiverton on the 1st island that you reach by ferry. www.novatrails.com/annapvalley/trails

Day 5: drive along the Annapolis Valley to the Wolfville/Grand Pre area. Lots of wineries in this area & a chance to view the tides of the Bay of Fundy nearby. www.thehighesttides.com

A popular trail is the Cape Split trail which is listed on the above Nova Trail website. It is aprox 2 hr hike each way through the woods but at the end you arrive at a large open grassy area with an awesome view of the tides flowing between the Bay of Fundy & Minas Basin.

I usually allow close to 5hrs for this hike leaving you time for photos & a picnic at the lookout point. Make sure that you leave early enough so you are back before dark.

Halls Harbour is a good place to have a fresh lobster dinner. www.hallsharbourlobster.com

Wolfville would be a good place to spend the night after the hiking & winetasting. There is a good selection of accommodations & restaurants. www.winesofnovascotia.com

Day 6 (opt 1) drive from Wolfville to Advocate Harbour; you could either take the costal road from Windsor to Truro,which I have found that it is not as scenic as it appears on the map. I usually took Rte 14 or Hwy102 to Truro; than Rte 2 from Truro is a nice drive. You might want to spend 2 nights in the Advocate Harbour area especially if you do some kayaking.

Day 6:(opt 2) Drive on to Cape Breton & spend the rest of your vacation hiking & exploring that area.

This is just a few ideas for you to think over. Order a map with the guide from the Nova Scotia website & you can check on the travel times between areas there as well.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

Once you have a better idea of distances, it will help you. We have so many wonderful, scenic areas to explore that you have some difficult decisions to make. For sure study the novascotia.com website mentioned above. You can work out some times here: novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx

From what you have told us of your interests, you should certainly consider the Minas Basin/Fundy Shore and Advocate Harbour.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c112634/Nova-S…

http://www.novashores.com/wheretostay.html

http://www.bayoffundy.travel/

http://www.capedor.ca/

http://jogginsfossilcliffs.net/

museum.gov.ns.ca/fgm/en/home/default.aspx

spiritreinsranch.com/trail_riding_adventures…

Cape Breton is simply beautiful. It has lots of hiking and other nature activities and a vibrant Celtic Music scene.

The south shore has rugged coastlines, and small fishing villages.

The Annapolis Valley has wonderful pastoral scenery, lots of wineries and good restaurants.

Everywhere there are museums and historical sites.

Let us know a bit more about what you would like to do and we will help some more.

Here is one possible route. It does not show every place mentioned but it will give you some idea of routes and driving times. I have avoided the main highway to and from Cape Breton, but the coastal roads do take longer.

http://bit.ly/10O3Ha5

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to route 236 between Windsor and Truro? It looks like it would be a shorter route - but ---

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour

No advantage in time, but a more scenic route than the main highways. It can be a bit confusing at te junctions as the signage isn't the best. I usually use the #14 - again, no savings in time, but more scenic.

Reply to: All Over the Place! Advocate Harbour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Advocate Harbour
More Advocate Harbour Topics