We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabot trail campgrounds

NH
3 posts
Save Topic
cabot trail campgrounds

we are looking for a campground at the beginning of the trail that would have a pub/bar or one within walking distance. Any suggestions? Even if the campground is a little further up the trail. Thanks

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

I would say your best bet would be to camp at Ingonish Beach, where you can go to the Keltic Lodge for the drinks and food. Nice trail here at Middle Head. You could walk from the camp to the Keltic, but it is a bit of a hike especially after a few drinks.

Halifax
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

Helloe GrammurrNh,

My name is Fiona and I work with NS Tourism.

Some options would be the Bras d'or Lakes campground Baddeck, close to many eateries including the Thistledown Pub in the Inverary Resort, and Auberge Gisele's Inn Restaurant and Lounge. North East Margaree: The Lakes campsite which has it's own restaurant onsite.

Some helpful sites are http://www.cabottrail.travel/ for information on dining and www.novascotia.com for information on the campgrounds.

Hope this helps!

Fiona

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

Hi, just realized it would be difficult to find the campground at Ingonish Beach on the web as it isn't a private campground, but in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. The advantage of Provincial or National camps over the private ones are they are usually with more 'private' camp sites and in more scenic locations - but with fewer serviced sites. You can find some info for the Ingonish Beach site at pc.gc.ca/eng/…activ.aspx

Halifax
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

Hi there again GrammurrNh, Fiona here again.

Upon further review of the properties, some of the campgrounds that I had mentioned might be a bit of a walk because of their locations. The location at Ingonish Beach looks like it is about 2km away from Keltic Lodge. If you are looking for a good map of the highlands national park you can go to http://www.pc.gc.ca/~/media/pn-np/ns/cbreton/c-e/carte-map.ashx

Fiona

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

The Trail is a full circle so where you first connect with it is where it'll start for you.

Campgrounds within walking distance of Beer!! Well, the first one that comes to mind is the one at the Entrance to the Highlands Park at Cheticamp. The Park is on one side of the river at the entrance and the beer is just over the bridge , so all of a likely 1/4 mile max.

The Campground at Lake o'law is basically the same .

NH
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

Thanks so much for the info, what is the name of the campground on the river at the entrance, in Cheticamp? Thank so much Judy/NH

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

There are two campgrounds just inside the CB Highlands National Park. One is right at the entrance and the next one is one some one mentioned called Corney Brook, which is maybe 6-7 km farther into the Park.

Both of these are operated by the Parks Canada people.

You can now do a Google street view of the Cabot Trail if you want to take the time to go through that .

Edited: 13 March 2010, 15:10
NH
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

Thank you so much for your help, we have decided on the Cheticamp campground just inside the park. We did look on Google earth and saw the distance to the "lounge/restaurant" We are pleased!! We like to take in local people and have a couple beers with the folks, we dont like to drive any distance afterwards!! Would you happen to know the layout of the campground?, we need sites with full hook up, I realize unless you have stayed there it is difficult, but perhaps you may have some ideas on where to get the info.. Thanks again for the help, if you ever come to NH we would be happy to give some advice, its also a beautiful state!! Judy/NH

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

Hi GrammurrNh,

The Cheticamp Campground is operated by Parks Canada... here is a link to their website = pc.gc.ca/eng/…activ.aspx

I did some GOOGLING, and as best as I can see there is no Campsite Map available on-line... although I am certain that Parks Canada does have one they could get to you (email, fax, whatever).

You'll note that the campground is quite small... only 162 Sites, of which only 37 have any sort of hookups (13 Electrical + 24 with 3-Way). Also, as Camping is a very very popular recreational activity in Canada (even before we take into account the tourists) you will want to make a Reservation ASAP.

I know for example here in Ontario... that by mid March many of our most popular Provincial Park "Destination Campgrounds" are booked up solid for the whole summer.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cabot trail campgrounds

First, what days of the week will you be camped there as that helps me tell you where the best music might be .

The campground has full service sites, so suggest you try their toll free . Surely they have a site map available , if not let me know and we'll try to track one down .

Get answers to your questions about Baddeck