We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Topic
Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

We spent a full day round Fortress Louisbourg in September 2010.

The pictures we took can be found here:

…mac.com/wasleys/…index.html

…mac.com/wasleys/…index.html

This is an amazing place and the highlight of our trip.

You can read my review here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

EESW - what great photos! Thanks so much for sharing that. I had a browse through your western gallery as well.

I have to agree with you, I LOVED Fortress Louisburg when we were there. I am very much looking forward to returned to Nova Scotia with my kids when they are old enough to appreciate it.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

Thanks for those kind comments. I can't claim any credit for the photos - husband is the photographer. My job is to try and keep a record of all the photos he takes so we will know where they all were when he comes to label them - well that's the general idea....

The initial view of the Fortress across the bay sets the scene. It is amazing to think that only 20% of it has been rebuilt and it makes you realise just how impressive it must have been in its heyday.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

Hello EESW,

Thanks for posting the pictures. They look very nice and I enjoyed looking through them.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

What a treat to be browsing the Canada Forum and find your photo gallery. You are a consummate traveler! with your trip reports and these photos. Thank you for taking all the time it took to do them.

It is great to actually see LF through your photos. When we were there quite a few years ago, it was raining, windy with fog offshore. I actually enjoyed "being there" this time round.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

I'm glad the pictures brought back memories. It wasn't the best of days when we went either. It started off dull and damp with mist hanging across the bay. The weather did improve a little during the day in so far as the damp stopped. At least being dull meant we didn't have problems with sunlight and shadows on the buildings. It is also amazing what the computer can do with pictures....who says the camera doesn't lie.

We are busy spending daughter's inheritance while we are still fit and able.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

I have eventually written a trip report for the holiday in Nova Scotia.

Trip Report 1 covering the journey from Halifax to Louisbourg and Baddeck can be read here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k43…

Trip Report 2 covering Cabot Trail can be read here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…31936335

Trip Report 3 covering the Eastern Shore can be read here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…31936370

Edited: 15 March 2011, 22:40
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

I have now written a detailed report on our trip to Fortress of Louisbourg which can be read here:

www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp…

Following pages give information about the history, military and civilian life in the fortress and information about the buildings.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg

Please note we have moved our website and the new address for the pictures of Louisbourg is:

wasleys.org.uk/Canada/…index.html

wasleys.org.uk/Canada/…index.html

Edited: 28 July 2011, 18:14
Reply to: Pictures of Fortress Louisbourg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Louisbourg