We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black fly season?

pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Black fly season?

We are coming to the Peninsula for the first time the third week of July. Will we still be plagued by black flies and mosquitoes while hiking? We are staying on the Lake Huron side in a cottage and hope to be able to sit out at night by the water and watch sunsets as well as do some kayaking. I know I can expect some insects but I'm hoping that at this point in the season, the really bad swarming will be over. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,067 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black fly season?

Hi tinglehead;

So far this year, the weather hasn't been as hot as it usually gets, which kills off the black flies and mosquitoes, so there is a possibility that they will still be around when you get here.

Being on the Lake Huron side can be of some help, as the breezes tend to blow from west to east, which will help keep the bugs off / away.

Best Regards

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black fly season?

Black flies usually don't last beyond mid-June so you should be okay. However mosquitoes will be around then but hard to say how bad they will be.

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black fly season?

Glad to see your making the trip North....we have visited between the last week of july and the 2nd week of august for the past 6 years....and none of us has gotten bitten.....we've seen some awesome moths tho....google the hummingbird moth....so cool...

pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black fly season?

Thanks for all the info. Seems like we won't be in too bad a shape bug wise. I love a good moth sighting too and have actually been fooled by the hummingbird moth once before in Maine. Another case of strange and weird patterns of nature!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Black fly season?

Agree, black flies are done by then. Your only real concerns would be the mosquitos and deer flies. One other consideration - if you're travelling with a small pet (cat or dog) don't let them wander especially in the evening. They've reintroduced fishers on the Bruce and seems they like to eat cats and dogs too. (their normal diet is porcupine)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

Edited: 19 June 2010, 17:05
toront
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Black fly season?

I was hoping that someone local could give me an update on the black fly situation this week in the Bruce Peninsula. We have a cottage booked near Wiarton for July 10 -17 2010 and I want to be prepared., Thanks!

toront
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Black fly season?

I am hoping that someone local can give me an update on the black fly season 2010 in the Bruce Peninsula. I am renting a cottage July 10-17 2010 in the Wiarton Colpoy's bay area and I want to be prepared. Thanks!

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Black fly season?

We're in Owen Sound. Black flies aren't a problem but mosquitos are bad right now, especially at dawn and dusk, as normal. Also horse flies and deer flies during the day.

Jerry

9. Re: Black fly season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:16