We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

home base

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
home base

We're thinking of spending a week in August, and I am wondering what would be a good "home base" from which to explore the peninsula. We want to rent a cottage for five on Lake Huron. We're mainly interested in kayaking, hiking, swimming, and probably taking the ferry over to Manitoulin (sp?). Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: home base

I would say rent a cottage anywhere from Sauble Beach north to Tobermory. In Tobermory you will want to kayak, hike th Bruce Trail, go on the glass bottom boats to see the ship wrecks and visit Flowepot Island. Sauble Beach is a popular swimming area. It's a 2.5 hour drive to Collingwood where you can visit the Scenic Caves and Blue Mountain Village. If you have kids they will like this especially if they are into zip lining, tree walking, the roller coaster that comes down the ski hill, mini golf etc. Visiting Manitoulin Island is time consuming but very scenic. Not really much to do there except enjoy the scenery. There is a good Aboriginal programm but I have not done it.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: home base

Personally I find the Bruce Pennisula gets nicer the further up you go. That being said, in my opinion the closer to Tobermory the better.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: home base

If you want to be on Lake Huron, start looking at Sauble Beach and north from there - Red Bay, Stokes Bay etc. You will find the most choice at Sauble for a cottage. It's about 90 minutes from Sauble up to Tobermory.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: home base

Hi writingmom,

Just so you know, while both shores of the Bruce Peninsula are technically on Lake Huron, folks around here generally use Lake Huron to refer to the waters west of the peninsula (the main body of the lake) and say Georgian Bay when referring to the waters to the east. So it would help to clarify -- are you specifically looking for accommodations on the western ("Lake Huron") shore of the Bruce, or are you equally open to the eastern ("Georgian Bay") shore? If it helps, the Lake Huron side is generally a gently sloping shore with some beaches, while the Georgian Bay side features cliffs, rock formations, and hiking opportunities along the Bruce Trail.

I agree that Tobermory, the village at the northern tip of the peninsula, is a good base for a lot of the most popular activities: it's adjacent to Bruce Peninsula National Park, it's the launching point for boat tours to Flowerpot Island and the ferry to Manitoulin Island, and contains a nice harbour, various marinas and canoe/kayak rental outfits, and about a million fish & chips places frying up local whitefish. Can't go wrong if you find a cottage near there.

If you're specifically interested in the Lake Huron side there's a quiet community of cottages at Dorcas Bay just a little south of Tobermory. Not sure if there are any rental properties specifically but private rentals could come up from time to time.

On the Georgian Bay side, there's a cottage rental business at Dyer's Bay, http://dyersbaycottage.com/ . I stayed in one of their cottages one time and it was quite nice, sort of a beach house feel (there's a road between the cottages and the shore but it's really more like a driveway).

Reply to: home base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bruce Peninsula