We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

black flies

toronto
3 posts
Save Topic
black flies

i'm trying to find out when the black flies will be bad up in moosonee / Attawapiskat this year. I've heard they start mid-late june. is this right? just how bad are they? we are planning to visit! thanks : )

4 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: black flies

Hi JMoss13Toronto,

Welcome to the MOOSONEE TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see that you are fairly NEW to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Can’t speak directly to Moosonee’s BUG SEASON… but can tell you a bit about Black Flies in general. They lay their legs in water (like mosquitoes) and hatch once the weather begins to warm up… they have most definitely begun in Eastern & Central Ontario now (along with Mosquitoes in some places).

BUG SEASON will progress as places warm up… so generally speaking from South to North in Ontario… sometime in June sounds about right for Moosonee and that part of Northeastern Ontario… not sure exactly how bad they’ll be (maybe you will luck out with your Question here and a “local” will see it… or someone who has been that far north)… BUT can tell you that it is my experience that the farther north you go in the Province, and the more into the woods… the worse things are when it comes to both the quantity of bugs… and how long the season lasts (to die off… bugs really need a dose of very hot weather).

I was up in the Land O’Lakes Area of Ontario yesterday… and the black flies around Bon Echo Provincial Park were absolutely horrible… thick swarms !!

BUG TIPS…

Your best defence will be bug spray with DEET... and keeping your head covered as much as possible... Black Flies love to munch on scalp !!

Whether it is Black Flies or Mosquitoes… the rules are pretty much the same… Bug Spray with DEET, covering up late in the day… long sleeves and pants will help… and wearing socks (even to bed if you are camping). It is what most seasoned campers advise… as Mosquitoes seem to LOVE FEET… infact spray your feet, socks & shoes… there is nothing worse than getting mosquito bites on your feet… as then they’ll itch & burn 24/7 and can really ruin a vacation.

Wearing light colours and NOT using smelly products (shampoo, conditioner, cologne etc) also seems to lessen the chances of attracting bugs.

If you intend to be outside a lot or in a wooded area… then investing in a bug-hat might be wise… certainly is a good thing to have to keep the black flies out of your face for the most part… as their constant swarming… can indeed drive someone crazy very quickly.

Photo – Bug Hat = travelwithcare.com/pubcontent/…HI049.jpg

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: black flies

K. So the area is really swampy if you are exploring or going over to Moose Factory. The black flies can be bad. Bring repellent and a net if you really hate them!

The start time really depends on the weather. Have a friend up there.. will post a bug report when I hear from him.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: black flies

I love bug jackets available at most outdoor stores, they cover you but have screens to allow airflow. As above DEET, is wonderful.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: black flies

Just heard from a friend in Moosonee. No bugs yet. Guess the weather has been too cold. When I lived there I remember getting them mid-late June. I never felt there were all that bad. We were on the Island. (Moose Factory)

Reply to: black flies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moosonee
Recent Conversations