We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
357 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

Was thinking about renting a cottage in mid June this year. How bad are bugs during that time? Sorry if this question is asked a lot.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

By mid-June the black flies should be done. They are usually gone after the trees fully bud out and the temperature rises which should be the case in mid-June.

As for mosquitos.....yes, there will be plenty at that time. The worst times for the skeeters at that time of year would be from about 5:30am until 7am and then again from about 8:30pm until 10pm. If you are in a shaded woody area (or near wetlands or marshes or low lying land) they could be a nuisance all day long....but not nearly as bad as the times I mentioned.

I highly recommend Muskol repellant. It has a high concentration of DEET which is the only true proven repellant. All the other things you hear from dryer sheets to Avon products to citronella candles are an urban myth. They don't work at all.

Another big factor is wind and temperature. If you have warm muggy nights the mosquitos will be out all night long. If it's cool at night you won't have many at all. Obviously, the more wind the less bugs.

Don't worry though, the mosquitos will not ruin your vacation. You'll just need to step inside the cottage around sundown. Plan on having your dinner at that time. Then after 10pm you'll be fine to sit out by the fire.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 14:40
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
1,163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

Hard to predict in my experience, spent time near Huntsville mid June a few years ago and black flies were awful, we ran from cottage to dock (nice breeze on dock helped). In the bush they can be terrible, but each year is different. If no BF then I would suggest misquitoes can get bad in my experience. Tough to know for sure but to me mid June is likely not the best time, but it depends how they bother you.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

Hi Ontario Canuck

I think this year the black flies will be done by mid-June.....not a guarantee but let's say a good possibility. Everything got an early start this year, including the buds on the trees. Once the trees have budded out the black flies are pretty much done. I think this year the trees will be full by mid-June. We should have a blast of heat at one point that will help speed things up even more.

Perhaps the year you speak of was one of those years when Spring was late. This year looks pretty good.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
1,163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

Could be, I go up to Huntsville periodically in June and have not noticed a pattern, I have free access to a cottage so if it is buggy for the weekend I go it is not something I remember well (except when I spent my honeymoon up there in June). With the warmer weather it could be very different. I also have become somewhat immune to them, my regular home is also in a forest in southern ontario so I am used to them.

5. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 15:35
Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

Fritzi871, advertising/solicitation is not allowed on the forums. Honest personal recommendations are one thing but you've joined TA just this week to post the identical plug on three threads about black flies -- including this one from a year ago -- for a product that frankly doesn't look like it has anything to do with black fly protection.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

This is a first as far as I can remember... we've got black flies again!!! I live right on Lake Muskoka and even at the height of BF season (mid-May to mid-June) we rarely get any around here, and the few we do get are done by the first week of June.

However, two nights ago they started to appear again... just a few at first, but now I can hardly believe the numbers - it's like being in the bush where they're as thick as can be. I've lived here 40 years and have never even seen a "second-coming" of them this late, never mind in areas they traditionally don't inhabit (by the lake shore). Some people are beginning to surmise it might have something to do with the flood we had in Muskoka earlier this spring and the persistent wet weather. I'm not really sure what the cause is, but old-timers with far more "bug" experience than I are shaking their heads in bewilderment. So what I can tell you is that currently they are out in full force by the 3rd week in June, and if this is indeed a "second batch" it's possible they may be around for another 6 weeks.

If anyone else has any information on this seemingly odd re-occurrence of BF's this late in the season, I'd luv to hear from them, as a lot of people are currently scratching their heads up here for a variety of different reasons!

Waterloo
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

How are the mosquito and black flies now? (July 15, 2013)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

Black flies gone. Mosquitos still buzzing.

10. Re: Mosquitos and black flies - mid June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 21:16