We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall colours

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
82 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Fall colours

Would September 21 weekend be too early to see the fall colours?

Should we go October 5th or 12th instead?

Toronto
Level Contributor
824 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall colours

Hard to say...in August.

A lot of factors at play, certainly the cooler weather triggers the change, and how much wind/rain we get that could potentially knock off the leaves.

I might be tempted to shoot in the middle, and go Oct 5th. You are in Toronto, are you staying up there in the area, if its a day trip, call an audible and be ready to go on 24 hours notice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall colours

Peak leaf colours would be closer to Thanksgiving, that's for sure....it's also the amount of daylight that triggers the change in colour of the leafs...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall colours

I'm gonna go with MacPete on this one and say Oct 5 is the best chance. Thanksgiving weekend is great for fall colours around the GTA, but might be a bit past-peak in Muskoka, especially since Thanksgiving falls late this year; I predict the ground will have more colourful leaves than the trees by then. And September 21 would typically be before the peak, though there would be some colour change happening by then.

Photoperiod is part of what triggers leaf change but so are other stressors like temperature and moisture, so there is some variation from year to year. If you're able to decide last-minute, you can follow the Ontario Parks fall colour report at http://www.parkreports.com/fall/ . Ignore what it says now since the reports for most parks haven't been updated since last fall. When your date is approaching, keep an eye on Arrowhead and Six Mile Lake Provincial Parks, since they're basically at opposite ends of Muskoka.

Huntsville, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall colours

In my opinion, the last weekend of September is typically the best time to view the colour here in Muskoka. The brightest colours come out first, then dull as the season progresses. Those first few scarlet leaves pop more against the still-bright green leaves of the summer.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,276 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall colours

Hi mintchoco;

Each fall, Tourism Ontario issues an online "Fall Colour Report", which is posted each Tuesday & Friday. Later in the year you can view that report by visiting;

ontariotravel.net/publications/fallcolourrep…

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall colours

Another thumbs up for October 5th, this time around................

Gravenhurst
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall colours

Sept 28th or Oct 5th weekends should be good for colour in Muskoka.

Check out muskoka autumn studio tour on either of those weekends. Local artists open up their homes and studios. Great way to discover back roads and purchase some art too.

Or check out website The real Muskoka. It will link you to the steamship cruises. There are usually a variety of choices from 2 hr to dinner etc. nothing like being on the ships with a warm fall day enjoying a glass a wine.

There's a boardwalk at Gravenhurst wharf and and the Blue Willow Teahouse has an afternoon tea service that even our friends from England approved of !

Almaguin Highlands...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall colours

The colours are just getting started now and I think the first week of October should be great.

If you haven't booked your accommodations yet, see if you can find somewhere suitable that's participating in the Fall Fuel & Fun promo. It's offered by the regional tourism organization, Explorers' Edge, encompassing Muskoka and beyond.

You can get $100 in free gas and cash vouchers when you stay two nights or more this fall. Just have to sign up for it in advance (by Sept 15) and while quantities last. If you're coming up for a fall getaway anyway, you might as well get the deal.

http://explorersedge.ca/fuelandfun/

Before someone flags this as a sales pitch, I'll clarify that Explorers' Edge is a government designated and government funded not-for-profit organization representing a variety of businesses.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall colours

I think the colours should be pretty good still....

10. Re: Fall colours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 00:16