We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a camp site that is in the bush

Port Carling, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a camp site that is in the bush

Hi everyone I live in Muskoka and we are planning a camping trip this summer. But we want to camp in the bush with no people around and great fishing. Does anyone know of a great spot we could try? We have been looking but have not found anything that is accessible with a small suv or able to walk in from a trail. Can't be to long of a hike from the car though. Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a camp site that is in the bush

Algonquin? Just seems a bit tough to accommodate though your requests if remote, accessible, good fishing and not near people.... Hopefully some campers can shed light on your requests, best of luck!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a camp site that is in the bush

How far from Muskoka are you prepared to travel?

Also, would you be prepared to rent or otherwise access canoes? Canoes would hugely increase the options available for backcountry camping, and make it a lot easier to go fishing.

If canoeing or boating isn't an option I'd probably look at the provincial parks that have hike-in backcountry camping, and try to get a site near the access point. Sure, you can camp anywhere you want on crown land but there don't tend to be maintained campsites on roads or hiking trials (sometimes there are on canoe routes), and any great camping or fishing spot that's easily accessible is bound to have people using it throughout the season, since there's no restrictions on who can go. In a park at least you can book your own site, and see on a map how private it is.

Provincial parks with hike-in backcountry campsites include Algonquin, Killarney, Bon Echo, and Frontenac. There's also Depot Lakes Conservation Area north of Kingston. You might not like Fontenac because the backcountry campsites are clustered rather than alone. I can make more detailed suggestions based on your answers.

Port Carling, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a camp site that is in the bush

We have a canoe so that is not a problem. We only want to drive up to an hour and a half away from Muskoka. Further north is good maybe even 2 hours if it's a great spot. We don't want to go to a provincial park. We really like camping in the bush. Just wanted to find some new spots. Kingston is too far away. If you think of anything let me know. Thanks for replying. :)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a camp site that is in the bush

With a canoe your options become a lot wider. Just off the top of my head: in the Parry Sound area there's McCrae Lake, Haliburton has Cinder and Bentshoe Lakes on the Poker Lake canoe route (portage into Quirt or Poker Lake for more isolation), also Nunikani and Red Pine Lakes (get there by portage from Big Hawk Lake), and there are various options in the belt of crown land surrounding Algonquin Park. All these are crown land lakes with a few campsites available for the taking, if you get there first. There are also many lakes and campsites in the Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park, which really isn't managed as a park and is for all practical purposes crown land.

Thing is, I'm not an expert in any of these places, and TA probably isn't the best forum to find someone who is. It's more about tourism. I suggest you ask your question on the Canadian Canoe Routes forum for Ontario, www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=107 . Folks there will know. If you don't get enough info about fishing from them, once you have a solid option or two in mind you should find a fishing related forum and ask about the lakes in question. Note that the best options for fishing will also depend on when you go: if it's July or later you should probably go after bass, pike, panfish etc, if it's a little earlier bass will be out but walleye could be good fishing, and if you're going in May you should look for a good trout lake.

There's a detailed map of the QEII Wildlands at explorethebackcountry.com/routelist/queeneli… , and Jeff McMurtie's super detailed map of Algonquin and surrounding lands at http://www.algonquinmap.com . The latter map covers all the Haliburton crown land options I mentioned above. Both maps show the popular fish species in each lake.

5. Re: Looking for a camp site that is in the bush

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 00:15