We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 & 5 yr old July fun with Mom and Grandma

Sharpsburg, MD
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
3 & 5 yr old July fun with Mom and Grandma

Hello!

I am not familiar with the Green Gables allure, but my mom is and has desperately wanted to visit PEI for many years. We're looking at mid-July for a possible first trip.

Perhaps you can help with a few questions:

1. We are coming from the DC area and it seems cheapest to fly into Halifax and then rent a car to drive to Cavendish to stay for the several (5?) nights we plan for our trip. Is this a reasonable plan? Or should we pay extra to fly into Charlottetown?

2. We like the idea of walking to the beach, but then also to the attractions. Is the downtown area very close to the beach? Exactly what is downtown? Plenty of restaurants? Parkview looks like the kind of place we would enjoy -- is that close enough to walk to town and the beach?

3. Beachcombing will be a hit for our little ones, but what else is there for 3 and 5 year old girls?

4. What else is worth a day trip from Cavendish? We like nice sights and my mom is a big fan of Scottish culture - music, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Beth

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 & 5 yr old July fun with Mom and Grandma

They are repeating the Anne of Green Gables series on PBS and I'm watching one of the episodes right now! If you are not familiar with the books, you should order the miniseries (it is one of my favorite classics). You should order the PEI travel guide as well (if you haven't done so). If I remember right, there are approximately 5 venues associated with Anne. We did not see them all. Your mother will certainly enjoy Green Gables(I believe it was the farm house owned by cousins of L.M. Montgomery and the inspiration for Green Gables). They have also recreated the village of Avonlea which I didn't particulary care for but we visited Avonlea at the end of the season and there wasn't much going on. I think your little girls will enjoy Avonlea; horse drawn rides etc. There are also some amusement parks in the same vicinity. I believe two to three days would suffice to cover all Anne venues if you choose to see all.

here
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 & 5 yr old July fun with Mom and Grandma

I would not bother flying to Charlottetown, it would add to your expenses and probably not save you any time by the time you get connecting flights etc. It's only a 3.25 hour drive from Halifax airport to Charlottetown.

I recommend getting tickets for the Anne of Green Gables musical. Your girls will not be the youngest ones there, and it is a lot of fun.

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
108 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 & 5 yr old July fun with Mom and Grandma

Hi the ferry crossing is aprox 75 minutes from Pictou N.S. to Wood Island PEI and 2008 rates were 70.00 total to go on and come off the island. You only pay when you leave. I would say to try and book 2 nights in the Cavendish/North Rustico area so you are near Anne of Green Gables and the amusements for the children and you are also close to some great beaches Ie Brackly/Dalvey/Stanhope and Cavendish. Many of the rental places have kitchenettes which will come in handy with young children. We used to stay at St Lawrence Motel they have kitchen facilities and swimming poole and the people who own it (the Gallants) are excellent hosts. The only draw back is that you sometimes hear noise from adjoining unit because they are attached, but unit 15 is at the end so you only have people on one side. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Charlottetown, PE
Level Contributor
319 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 & 5 yr old July fun with Mom and Grandma

Hi: good to hear you are considering coming this way for vacation. I think we can come up with enough to fill everyone's days.

1) Travel: Charlottetown to Cavendish is a 45 minute drive. Halifax to Cavendish via the Confederation Bridge is approx. 3.5 hours, 2/3 of the trip is divided highway, the rest 2 lane roads. So I guess the choice comes down to how well the kids tolerate the drive and the inteneraries you can get for flights - definitely more options going into Halifax. One other option is to fly into Moncton, NB (YQM). It is served by Continental, plus the Canadian carrier and is approx 1.5 hours from Cavendish.

One other routing option if you fly into Halifax is to take the ferry from Caribou/Pictou, NS to Wood Islands, PE. It is 1.5 hours form the airport to Pictou, and 1.25 hours from Wood Islands to Cavendish. The ferry crossing itself is just over an hour. If you or the kids haven't experience ad ferry ride before, it is a very enjoyable part of the trip.

One note concerning the timing of your trip - there is a big 3 day county music festival planned for the Cavendish area for the weekend around July 11. May want to avoid that weekend.

2) From the main drag in the vilalge of Cavendish, I'd estimate that the beach is close to a 1/2 mile walk. Not sure it that would be too much for the kids. But most of the trip is on boardwalks or trails so your not out walking on the side of the road. Cavendsh in my mind is what I would consider a village. 2 or 3 small grocery stores, several restaurants, a fair number of hotel/cottages, several small retail operations. Mostly strung along a single road. There are several resuaruants with very good food that are family friendly (everything in Cavendish is family friendly!) I'm sure the kids (and the adults) would enjoy Parkview, however you you most likely be driving into the village from there as it is at the edge of the village - not far but further than most would like to walk.

3) Aside from beachcombing there are a number of things to keep the kids busy in Cavendish - 2 family amusement parks - Shining Waters and Sandspit, Avonlea Village - an Anne of Greegables re-enactment village. Plus other smaller sites - mini-golf, etc. Much of the coatline near Cavendish is part of PEI National Park, so there are often park range led walks and talks to explore the coastline.

4) You may want to consider a day trip or even one night in Charlottetown. You mother would enjoy the Anne of Green Gables musical that is put on at the Confederation Centre of the Arts. This is an excellnt production that is a hit with anyone interested in Anne (and most that aren't). Also many more restaurant choices in the City.

The province also runs a series of museum sites that are woth a visit. They have a living museum in Orwell that the kids would also enjoy. The re-enact life from the 1800's and have farm animals, etc. Lots of music around - many local halls host ceilegh (sp?) concerts with local traditional music.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Charlottetown, PE
Level Contributor
319 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 & 5 yr old July fun with Mom and Grandma

Here are some useful links:

Tourism PEI: http://www.tourismpei.com

Shining Waters Family Park: http://www.shiningwaterspei.com/

Sandspit: http://www.sandspit.com/

PEI Museums: http://www.gov.pe.ca/peimhf/index.php3

PEI Ferry: http://www.peiferry.com/

Confederation Centre of the Arts: confederationcentre.com/en/home/default.aspx

Charlottetown Tourism: http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/

PEI National Park: www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/pe/pei-ipe/index_e.asp

6. Re: 3 & 5 yr old July fun with Mom and Grandma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 12:39
Get answers to your questions about Cavendish