We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current safety for Rancho la Puerta in Tecate Mexico

Which Tecate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
1 post
Save Topic
Current safety for Rancho la Puerta in Tecate Mexico

Would like more up to date info on safety issues for the area around the ranch.

4 replies to this topic
San Diego
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current safety for Rancho la Puerta in Tecate Mexico

Hi, I live in San Diego and follow the news closely. I've been to the Ranch over 30 times (most recently July 2011) and I usually take my own car and park either at the Ranch or in a secured lot on the USA side of the border (near the Payless).

Haven't heard one thing negative going on in the Tecate area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current safety for Rancho la Puerta in Tecate Mexico

I'll in in San Diego in May. Was wondering about crossing the boarder for a bit. I've not heard good things about Tijuana. How about Tecate? Where to go if we walk across the boarder as you describe above.

G Man

San Diego
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current safety for Rancho la Puerta in Tecate Mexico

Hi. I have done this many many times. All you have to do is talk to the Ranch in advance about your plan to leave your car on the US side. You'll walk across (easy) and they'll pick you up or you can take a cab ($3-$4 last time I took a cab). They can instruct you where to leave your car (in a dirt lot by the Payless Shoe store -- you leave money in an envelope -- I've never heard of ANYONE who had a problem doing this --- lots of the Ranch staff does this because nobody want to hassle with driving across the border).

I've been doing this for years and never had a snag. Much easier than taking my car across and quicker than the bus.

To answer your big picture question ... Tecate is VERY DIFFERENT from TJ. It's quiet, peaceful, easy. We've never had a problem and we've been going since 1982. Just be sure to talk to the Ranch in advance, they'll tell you what to do.

ENJOY!

Alpine, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current safety for Rancho la Puerta in Tecate Mexico

frankly, I wouldn't even bother with parking and walking across...there is very little traffic in Tecate and if you want to explore (other than go staright to RLP and straight back without seeing anything of the town - which IMHO would be boring) then you should drive across - it's really not scary or dangerous

Reply to: Current safety for Rancho la Puerta in Tecate Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tecate