We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chapala & Chapala Lake

Cancun
5 posts
Save Topic
Chapala & Chapala Lake

Dedicated to those who have traveled or have lived in Chapala and around the Lake in the past and specially to the ones who are living there now. Please, share your experiences. So the travelers of today, can also enjoy that beautiful place. Personally, love the weather, the views, the real sense of Mexico and above of all, the warmth and hospitality of the people of Lake Chapala.

Mentioned in this post
Chapala
Chapala
Jalisco, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Lake Chapala
Lake Chapala
131 Reviews
Jalisco, Mexico
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chapala & Chapala Lake

Sorry but I find little to attract me here. Lake is basically a dead one badly polluted & while the town has some charm it is far too Americanized for me.

Cancun
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chapala & Chapala Lake

I am aware that great efforts are being done by Mexican Government Authorities through Jalisco State Ecology Department with local and resident groups alike in order to give back the Lake of Chapala its original beauty. In Ajijic and Chapala, we really appreciate all the help and assistance that visitors and particularly residents give to local people, for a better way of living.

Mentioned in this post
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Chapala
Chapala
Jalisco, Mexico
Ajijic
Ajijic
Jalisco, Mexico
Central US
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chapala & Chapala Lake

I'm sorry to hear about the town being Americanized. Are there suggestions of day tips using the local buses?

Thanks,

--Greg

home
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chapala & Chapala Lake

We spent two weeks in Ajijic and we went to Lake Chapala twice to walk around and eat lunch. Even though the Lake is in desperate need of repair the views are still breath taking. We also enjoyed lunch at Jose's about two blocks from the Lake near the Mercado. The best chili rellanos! Various vendors and stores carry the authenic mexican candies too.

Mentioned in this post
Ajijic
Ajijic
Jalisco, Mexico
Lake Chapala
Lake Chapala
131 Reviews
Jalisco, Mexico
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
13,391 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chapala & Chapala Lake

The lake has risen dramatically, yes it is polluted and yes it does have lirio, but the views are spectacular. The sunsets are as good as any on the beach. There is a lot of effort going into saving the lake and restoring it. It continues to be beautiful, but would not swim in it. People are boating and such on the lake though.

There is a true sense of Mexico here, but yes it is quite americanized in many areas. I personally live in a small pueblo, still quaint and Mexican. We have many amenities here stores, culture, art, music, cinema, spas, restaurant after restaurant,the list goes on and on.

We continue to have all the fiestas typical of Mexico but I fear in time this will change with all the americanization and complaints from Americans regarding music, and fireworks and such.

We do still have loose horses, cows, chickens, roosters and dogs and many cobblestone streets.

This is a tourist area and a mega playground for wealthier Mexicans from Guadalajara, just a short ride thru loco traffic. LOL.

The weather is temperate on the whole here. Although I must say it is changing as is everywhere in the world. We have had more rain and cooler winters than usual the last two years. We are at approx. 5000 feet above sea level, surrounded by mountains. We have essentially two season wet and dry. I like the dry, hate rain. Most people love the rains and also the tremendous thunder and lightning shows.

The warmth and hospitality of the Mexican popularity is beyond compare here, without a doubt.

Traffic has increased substantially here as has higher end construction, so getting about on the carretera can be timeconsuming, so many of us know the routes along the cobblestone streets, more bumpier but less traffic LOL.

Inflation has certainly hit our area and I must say it is no longer a cheap place to live, maybe cheaper than some places in Mexico but climbing up there quickly.

The American and Canadian population here are essentially retirees, but that too is changing and I see more and more younger people moving in. When I moved here ten years ago other than my kids I was one of the youngest Americans residing here full time.

I like it here because of the wonderful views, usually great weather, although I do like it even hotter than most, but then I just hop in car and head to one of the Pacific beaches, usually PV, or Mazatlan or Ixtapa. I love the quaintness of my pueblo and also the closeness of just about everything you need, and if not here well then a ride to Guadalajara will do it. I love the values, family oriented, and cultural ways of the Mexicans here and prefer to be in their presence than most Americans, LOL.

It is and has changed immensely though in ten years so hurry and visit before the specialty of the area is gone. It is very slow paced and tranquil here. We have a saying if you accomplish 2 or 3 errands in a day that is a really busy day and hey there is always manana. We have so many wonderful views and flowers and such who has time for business or errands LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Chester, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chapala & Chapala Lake

The wife and I went to the "Lakeside" last January for 7 days. We are considering retiring to Mexico (also have visited Merida and Puerto Morelos for the same purpose). If you are visiting the Lakeside to relax and do nothing that is the place for you. When we were there it was cold in the mornings (high 40's to low 50's) but did warm up in the afternoon enough to use the hotel pool. We stayed at the Real De Chapala hotel in Ajijic and participated in a 7 day program that took us to different locations including Guadalajara. There are a lot of very good places to eat but the streets sort of roll up after 9:30 at night

You can't swim in the Lake, you'll probably rot before you drown. The scenery is, however, spectacular. We found the people in the area nice, had limited contact with the locals because of the seminars at the program but those that we met Mexican and Gringo were pleasant.

If you are staying in Ajijic and want to walk around get good walking shoes because the cobblestone streets can be a bit rough on the ankles.

We will be visiting Mazatlan for 11 days in April. Haven't decided on a hotel yet would welcome any recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Real de Chapala
Real de Chapala
422 Reviews
Ajijic, Mexico
Ajijic
Ajijic
Jalisco, Mexico
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
13,391 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chapala & Chapala Lake

Yes, last Jan. was very cold, unseasonably cold for sure, hoping this year is better, especially with the rising of the lake which hopefully returns our weather to status quo. Dec. & Jan are the coldest months here though, anyway.

There is now a bit of night life, a few bars and restaurants now staying open later, Lakeside Little Theater does plays, and the movie theater ( cinema) has late night shows. Essentially though unless there is a private house party or a Mexican fiesta going on, which of course there is almost always one going on near us, then it is pretty much roll up the sidewalks by 11pm. There are a lot of retired people here, who do not drive at night etc., it is quite dangerous with all the loose animals and such about anyway. You can drive in to Guad. for all the night life you can imagine, many people hire cabs for these occassions so they can have fun, drink, etc, and not have to drive back.

The cobblestone streets are a killer for walking but that is what makes our area unique and quaint, also keeps the speed limits down. LOL.

Chapala and Jocotepec are two areas Lakeside of which are paved with little to no cobblestones.

This area of Mexico is very laid back, daytime oriented I guess. You need to have a large network of friends or aquaint with the locals, and enjoy the late night, all night fiestas when they are around, as nightlife on the whole beyond 11pm, is atypical here.

Mazatlan is a great beach area, lots of culture, lots of nightlife, I love it there. It certainly is a different cry from Ajijic. Two different worlds.

Hope you love Mazatlan. April should be really hot.

In Lago de Chapala, April & May are the hottest and driest months. I like them the best but I love the heat as long as not humid.

The 10 day fiesta in honor of the patron saint of Ajijic ( all the communities have a patron saint and a 10 day fiesta), is going on right now, just started and there will be lots of nightlife, as well as lots in Dec. January is a pretty quiet month here. I believe Mazatlan probably hops all year round though.

Enjoy your travels about Mexico. There are so many places to stay in Mazatlan, each so different. You might try posting on the Mazatlan forum. I personally stay at Royal Villas when I am there or Mayan Palace as I am an owner of a timeshare at both. Both different types of places. Royal Villas is right in the Golden Zone, so you may like that. It is a timeshare and hotel property. Right on beach. Request oceanside. I hear the INN at Mazatlan is nice as well also in Golden Zone. The PB Emerald Bay is elegant but quite far out of town. As is the Mayan.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Chapala
Chapala
Jalisco, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Ajijic
Ajijic
Jalisco, Mexico
Golden Zone
Golden Zone
385 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
The Inn at Mazatlan
The Inn at Mazatlan
745 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
8. Re: Chapala & Chapala Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 10:18