We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

I'm thinking of visiting the Lake Chapala/Ajijic area around March for about 3 weeks and am looking for some suggestions as a place to stay-middle of the road as I am on somewhat of a budget. I am an American 61 year young female and giving some thought to moving to Mexico.

Can anyone help me with this question: how much income do you have to show to live in Mexico? I've gone to many sites and they all seem to list different amounts.

Muchas gracias.

Sandy

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

Ah such is Mexico...yup everywhere you look a different amount or rule..

that is why noone can give you an exact figure.

Usually at least at first if you pay someone to get you an FM3 they can advise on how to work the numbers etc. Almost anything is possible in Mexico. LOL.

You say you are looking for somewhere to stay, middle of the road price range on a budget, so in order to help you out better like how much are you looking to pay per night? Are you looking for a B&B, hotel, or a 3 week apt. or casita (small house rental), or a room?

Have you been to other parts of Mexico or is this your first trip? What are your motivations for wanting to move to Mexico?

See what we can find for you with more info...

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

I'd like to spend around $50-6-USD per night based on 3 weeks; I'd like someplace that has a mini-fridge,bath so I am open to a B&B, hotel or 3 week apartment.

I was in Barra de Navidad about 12 years ago. I liked it but wouldn't want to live there-too hot and they seem to get hit with hurricanes. Ajijic area appeals to me becauses of the temperate climate and its expat population.

I'm thinking of moving to Mexico because I love the people; the diversity of the country and hopefully living on a fixed income in Mexico would be better than living in the US.

If you have suggestions for other places please let me know.

If anyone on the forum has experience about the Ajijic area their info would be helpful.

Muchas gracias,

Sandy

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

I'll check around and see what I can find and give you some suggestions.

Yes, Ajijic has a temperate climate but has had cooler temps of late and longer rainy seasons, guess the weather is changing everywhere worldwide.

I live right next door to Ajijic, in a small pueblo. Use Chapala on my profile, as not that many people know of my town, even though we have lots of the impo. stuff here LOL.

Prices have gone way up here, in the ten years I have been here, but I still think you can live financially and emotionally better here than in the states, if you give yourself time to acclimate and adjust. Culture shock can come and go for 2, 3, 5 years. LOL. You do not need spanish to live here but I have to adamently say it is beneficial and life will be cheaper and easier and happier.

There are a ton of retired ex=pats here. I am a bit younger than retirement age and have raised kids here, but my parents live here as well.

Ajijic is a bit more crowded and busier than my town, touristy of course, artist village.

The Mexican people and their culture are incredible. So kind and giving yet have so little themselves but so much happier than most of the more well to do americans etc. Now of course, with the lake rising and such we have lot of affluent nationals here as well, especially on weekends, holidays, and such.

On the income level, well as I think I posted every site says something different LOL, and if you own a home here, then it is lower. Mine is lower cause I have a home but higher cause I have a child to support. I pay a person to do my paperwork for me for my residency papers or FM3. For that matter just got my renewal today.

Where are you from? I just checked your profile and it states Ajijic. Should be where you live now, not where you want to be. LOL.

Feel free to ask more questions at will. I have been sick, but am pretty much recovered so will check on places to stay in a few days after I get caught up. I asked all those questions as I know of some casitas for rent, not sure if they would do for such a short period but maybe, right near me. Anyway will get you a list of good places, there are an awful lot of new ones, so I'll see what people are advising and such.

Soon.....

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

One more question, would you like me to check on a casita for you, not in Ajijic, in San Antonio, next door , my town. Lovely casita, secure property, lovely grounds, or do you prefer to be right in Ajijic in a hotel, or surrounding areas as well, like Chapala, or the other way towards Jocotepec. Will you have a car? If not are you open to buses, they are very cheap.

Sorry to ask you all these questions but this is a big area, remember the Lake is the biggest in Mexico, 65 miles long...

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

Yes, San Antonio is nice, but you will probably need to rent a car if you stay there unless you don't mind taking taxis everywhere or riding the bus. You will probably do alot of walking with public transportation.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

Yes I think in San Antonio more likely to either use bus or taxi. It is within walking distance to Ajijic, I do it all the time but in the daytime of course.

Dana Point, CA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

Hi Sandy!

My name is Charlie, I'm thinking of doing the same thing, could be grat timing for two of us to research the possibilities. I'm looking at going there over New Years for a week to check out the area.

Anyway, I'd love to talk to you more about this adventure, my email is lagunacb@yahoo.com

Cell is 949-280-2100 any time

Hope to hear form you, have a great weekend!

Charlie

Dana Point, CA

Martinsburg
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

Hi:

My name is Rhonda I bought a house in Ribas Del Pilar which is between Lake Chapala and Ajujic (right smack in the middle) we will be there acutually tomorrow until the 7th of January I'm 6i also. We plan on retireing there in a couple of years and love the area. I think you are smart to come and visit for a few timew first that's what we did fell in love with the area and bought two years ago. Rhonda

9. Re: Rental in Lake Chapala or Ajijic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 21:16