We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malinalco and Valle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Malinalco and Valle

Hello... I am planning a surprise trip for my partner who is working in Mexico City. I was thinking of staying 2 nights in Malinalco and then 2 nights in Valle de Bravo... as we will be leaving Mex City only on Saturday morning, am wondering if I should keep this split..or just spend Saturday night in Malinalco and the other 3 nights in Valle de Bravo. I have never been to either, but have heard great things about both!

Also, it is best to stay in the town in Valle or closer to the lake? Have seen several nice hotels, but they seem a little away...is it worthwhile to stay in the town, or just enjoy the countryside?

Thanks!

Manhattan, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malinalco and Valle

Hello. How are you, Etsuro? I too will be traveling to el DF at the end of May with my partner. I was hoping to do a manda to Chalma for the day. I have memories of doing one with grandmother many years ago. I recall making it a day trip after a rather long bus ride from the DF. Are you familiar at all with the transport options to Chalma? Please share, if you are. I may look into renting a car if that would prove quicker and easier.

Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malinalco and Valle

Hello... I plan on renting a car from Toluca as I want to travel around a bit. Have taken the bus for one way trips near DF before and had no problems, but do not want to be tied down to a schedule... Renting a car is always interesting in Mexico - you never know what to expect as there are always surprises (car class, opening hours, extra fees, insurance...) It is worth it though for the beautiful scenery!

Manhattan, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malinalco and Valle

Thanks for your response. Excellent. I actually looked into a car rental and found some VERY cheap prices. One was on Thrifty for $11 daily, including taxes. Another was for Alamo for $12 daily, including taxes. I don't own a car in the USA, so will be adding CDW coverage through my credit card, and will supplement with the PLI insurance for liability for an additional $13 or so daily. Does this sound about right per your previous experience? Is it safe to drive between the DF and Chalma/Malinalco? Any tips/warnings would be appreciated.

Thank you again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malinalco and Valle

Great! Often they will make you buy insurance regardless, so be prepared for any surprises.. Usually, I just pay and then deal with the car company in the US later (Hertz and Budget have both been very responsive.) The agent there usually has no authority, and it doesn't seems to matter what is written in your reservation. Not always, but..

Driving in the DF is a little crazy...you meet some of the nicest people in Mexico, until they get behind the wheel! Speed bumps, dogs, and cars stopping randomly... keeps your senses active! Would recommend using a GPS, bringing one from the States is good or use an iPhone, they can be a little expensive to rent, and they often don't have any. Once you are out of the city, it's usually fine... the highways are good.

I have never been to Chalma/Malinalco, so am getting excited! Time for some good food and tequila! Have heard great things about the area.

5. Re: Malinalco and Valle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Valle de Bravo
More Valle de Bravo Topics