We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip to Mexico - Nuevo Progresso?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip to Mexico - Nuevo Progresso?

Hi, I'll be in the McAllen area this May & hope to cross over into Mexico as i'll be so near the border. My only concern is safety, as I'll be a twenty-something female travelling solo. I see from the forums that Reynosa (which would be nearer to McAllen) isn't all that great, but some posts seem to recommend Nuevo Progresso.

I'd be hoping to walk over, is this possible? Also, once I cross, how far am I from the town centre? I don't necessarily want to have a far distance to walk alone.

Any help would be appreciated...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip to Mexico - Nuevo Progresso?

I shouls also have asked about visa? Obviously I'll be bringing my Irish passport, but will this be sufficient to cross over with?

Houston
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip to Mexico - Nuevo Progresso?

No, Reynosa isn't all that great. It's safer than Nuevo Laredo, but there's still not all that much to see and do there, and it's a bigger, busier town than Nuevo Progreso.

Nuevo Progreso is tiny. There's a lot on the Texas side where you can park your car, then just walk across the bridge. It's easy, low-key, and everything in the town is within a block or two of the bridge (everything consisting of a souvenir shop, a liquor store, a restaurant, a couple pharmacies, a nightclub, and several dentists).

Since you're Irish, that means you look like a gringo, and the Mexican immigration and customs officials almost never even acknowledge the existance of gringos walking past (you generally don't need to show any documents unless you're traveling to the interior of Mexico, beyond the 20-mile or so frontera zone --- the customs guys just worry about what the paisanos are bringing back home with them. The only time you'll be asked for passport or visa is when you cross BACK into the U.S.

Hope this helps,

Mark

progreso texas
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip to Mexico - Nuevo Progresso?

Hi Ireland..

I just saw your posting about Nuevo Progreso. If it's in May 08 you are coming then let me give you the scoop.

Nuevo Progreso is probably your best bet as far as walking is considered. Reynosa is a big town and has several places you can shop but.... you will have a ways to walk.

On the other hand...

Nuevo Progreso, you can start to shop as soon as you cross the bridge. You walk past the mexico port of entry and start shopping!!!

There is also plenty of close by parking on the U.S. side ...

Good luck

Sarah

4. Re: Daytrip to Mexico - Nuevo Progresso?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Reynosa