We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!! Punta de Mita or Bucerias?????

Chicago
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP!! Punta de Mita or Bucerias?????

Hello. My husband and I and our 3 kids (ages 2, 2, and 8) are traveling to PV in late March/early April and we can't figure out where to stay. Initially, we were going to book a condo at the Punta Visa Signature Residences. We loved the pool and ocean front setting as well as everything we heard about Punta de Mita (the beach-front restaurants and laid back atmosphere). But then we came across the Punta Esmeralda development in Bucerias. I don't know as much about Bucerias other than it being a small fishing village with some good restaurants. How does it compare to Punta de Mita? Are there restaurants on the beach in Bucerias and are they as charming? I guess we could always take a cab to Punta de Mita. But I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback. Thanks so much!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!! Punta de Mita or Bucerias?????

We've stayed at Punta Esmeralda. It's a beautiful, but very quiet, development. The beach is a little rocky, and doesn't tend to get the same type of waves as the Bucerias / Nuevo area (i.e., forget about boogie boarding there). One thing to keep in mind about Punta Esmeralda is that if the unit you're staying at is down near the ocean, it's a bit of a hike up the hill to get to the highway. We found it helpful to have a phone available for calling taxis.

Note that there is a small snack bar located right in the development, but nothing in the way of a real restaurant. We usually took care of breakfast / lunch at the condo (the Mega, which is a good place to stock up, is on the other side of town), and made our way into the centro (a short taxi ride away) for supper. Bucerias offers a wide range of excellent restaurants, many of them on the beach. Note that there are good restaurant options available in La Cruz as well.

When you're ready for a change of scenery, you can easily catch the bus to either PV or Sayulita - it stops rights at the entrance to Punta Esmeralda.

We find Punta de Mita to be a bit too isolated for our tastes, but perhaps that's what you're looking for. In the end, it really depends on your personal preferences.

Edited: 17 February 2011, 19:37
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!! Punta de Mita or Bucerias?????

http://vallarta-info.com/la_cruz.html

check out the Map. it might help.

The Long long Beach of Nuevo starts at South side of Bucieras,runs all the way the Vallarta..,Lots of Mega and smaller resorts.and Condos..

Punta de Mita (smaller town) is North of Bucieras town, a Few issolated resorts in coves on the way.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,339 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!! Punta de Mita or Bucerias?????

We spend many weekends in the Punta Mita area, but we also have a place in Puerto Vallarta so we can have the best of both.

Bucerias La Cruz is, as was pointed out, a nice distance from Puerto Vallarta if you want to see that (It's about half way to Punta Mita). I really wouldn't call it a quiet fishing village though. Not that it's serious urban hustle bustle, either. It's got government offices, big grocery stores, banks--which Punta Mita area doesn't..

As a previous poster noted, it's what you are looking for. personally. Punta Mita and area is absolutely quiet at night, except for the surf. No highway traffic noise, nothing much open past 11 pm, and many things close much earlier. Great opportunities to walk to fishing, surfing, water excursions.

If you have anymore questions, please ask back.

4. Re: HELP!! Punta de Mita or Bucerias?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 00:17